$1500 max limit with only part I've *potentially* picked out is the GTX 970. That could change depending on how much I learn.

P01NT13L4NK

Commendable
Mar 4, 2016
Purchase date: Within... hopefully 2 months.
Budge Range: $1500. I'm sure at some point I'll eat a few more costs if I have to upgrade, but I'd rather get a nice gaming rig to meet my needs and maybe upgrade as time goes on and upgrading is needed. I've seen builds for over $4000 and, no.

I'm using this for
: Gaming is at the top because that'll be the primary usage. I also want to be able to use Mudbox, Z Brush, and 300 DPI in Photoshop without custom brushes requiring a "loading screen" type mouse pointer. Some brushes do, some brushes don't, it depends on if the brush.

Buying a monitor: Yes - I'm sold on a dual monitor set up since I have one of those now - my laptop is one, and I have an NEC brand LCD monitor for #2. I'd prefer two of the exact same even though I'm not sure I'll use a dual monitor set up for gaming. I haven't experienced using 2 monitors for gaming yet. So, I'll be buying two monitors and retiring my current #2 monitor.

Parts to upgrade: Probably not applicable as this is a whole new build but we can use this section more as "potential parts you should look at".

Buy OS? Probably - if a good mobo is available bundled with windows, I'm cool with that. Yea I use the Windows version of Photoshop, but I learned on Mac.

Preferred Websites: Amazon, Newegg, Zipzoomfly, TigerDirect.

Location: US. I know you guys want more specific, but, have faith in me that I know how to shop around. :D

Parts Preferences: I was a huge fan of Intel but my last rig I'm pretty sure was an AMD rig. I'm a fan of NVidia, their cards have never let me down, but I've heard AMD crushed the NVidia Titan in a recent beta. My video card preference is currently the GTX 970 (Ti, and other letters - I don't know what they mean) but if there's legit better for cheaper, with no compatibility issues and SLI/Crossfire I'll take a look.

Overclocking: This sounds like "do you want to make your graphics card scream in pain". I'm more a fan of just buying a powerful enough card.

SLI or Crossfire - I thought they were the same but yes I want the "dual video card" option available in some capacity. I like the advice "Buy one powerful enough to suit your needs now, and if you need to go dual vid cards later you can". Also yes I know they need to be identical cards and you need a bridge for them if you go dual cards. Sounds like a fun option for the future.

Resolution: I hadn't fully thought this one through. I honestly don't know - What is sufficient resolution if I want Witcher 3 at the HIGHEST settings with a solid 60 FPS?

Why upgrading: Need a whole new gaming rig for video games (specifics in 'additional comments') as well as digital art, digital sculpting, maybe 3D modelling.

Additional Comments:
Case - Big so it can hold everything, possibly with lights I can toggle on/off easily. I love a pretty case, but I can't sleep at night if my room isn't pitch black.

Keyboard: something with a toggle on/off backlight. Doesn't need to be extremely pretty.

Mouse: I'll take a look at the ones at local stores, I'm very picky about it being comfortable and I can't get that from a picture.

I'm just about sold on 8 GB of RAM, 3 TB HD (or SSD - long as it's a big storage unit. My last rig ended up with 3 hard drives in it and they were all small. I want one big storage device.) I like the idea of a quad core processor. Again dual monitors is a resounding YES!

Games I want to be able to run: Witcher 3, Fallout 4, Doom (the new one coming out soon), Crysis 3, CoD Black Ops 3, Wolfenstein: The new Order, Company of Heroes 2, The Division, Titanfall, Rome Total War, and a few other older games like Painkiller (I know, that ones easy), and Jericho Squad.

Programs I want to be able to run: Photoshop, Maya (never used it, but I'd like to learn), ZBrush, and Mudbox.

Now, if you've read all this you probably realize my tech level when it comes to computers and all the ins and outs isn't very high - I know how to check specs to make sure my rig can run a game, what I don't know is how EVGA, NVidia and everyone else seem to have the same video card being offered with what seems like 10 different varieties. What's the difference between the GTX 980 and the 980 Ti? There's also 3 types of Titans offered on NVidia's website.. Would someone be so kind as to explain why? Thanks everyone :)

logainofhades

Titan
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($329.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI Z170A SLI PLUS ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($132.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston Savage 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($57.50 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($66.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card ($319.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Deepcool TESSERACT SW RED ATX Mid Tower Case ($47.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHDS118-04 DVD/CD Drive ($12.89 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Monitor: Asus VS247H-P 23.6" Monitor ($130.99 @ NCIX US)
Monitor: Asus VS247H-P 23.6" Monitor ($130.99 @ NCIX US)
Keyboard: Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Gaming Bundle Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse ($28.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1504.04
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-05 00:56 EST-0500

There is more than one generation of Titan. Titan cards are not worth looking at, really.

g-unit1111

Titan

Yes ideally that is what you want to go with as far as graphics cards go - buy the strongest card you can possibly afford now, then buy a second one down the road. Is $1500 the absolute max you can go? Are you flexible in your budget? Because if you are then you might want to look at the X99 platform - the higher RAM capacity and more cores will allow you to get the most out of those rendering and art programs you tend to use since those can be very processor and RAM heavy.

I would do something like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor ($376.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H5 Ultimate 76.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($46.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme4 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($174.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($86.75 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card ($329.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($63.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($87.95 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1392.51
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-05 01:45 EST-0500

Then you can add whatever monitors and peripherals you want. I don't suggest those things because those are mainly personal preference.

P01NT13L4NK

Commendable
Mar 4, 2016
Hey I just wanted to drop a quick note and thank both of you for taking the time to make precise builds around the video card I'd like to get. I'm looking at both, and figuring out what hardware to pick up. I love that both builds have an i7 processor, big HD's, and my preferred video card. I'm thinking 16 GB of RAM just because of the digital sculpting thing, and I have a lot of research to do on all this. Thanks again guys, I'll update when I have a build.

P01NT13L4NK

Commendable
Mar 4, 2016
I hate to necrobump, however, what do you guys think about dropping $2000 on this thing, and go for an X99 platform? It's a definite possibility. (some plans changed, hence I'm bringing up old stories)

The stuff you guys have suggested already looks sweet, but I'm wondering what the $500 bump to 2K will do for me. Seems the processor, motherboard and CPU are the most expensive items. Decided at one point I'll be going Dual GTX 970's because.. well.. I want to.. Will I need two cards to do digital sculpting/etc..? I don't know. Do I think it'd be cool to have two? Sure!

Thanks guys!