i5 6400 bclk overclock with stock cooler

MridulSarker

Reputable
Nov 2, 2015
Title says everything. I want to buy an i5 6400 as i've heard it can be overclocked. (No other options, so pls dont recommend any other). Yes i will get a Z170 board of course. My specs are:
1. i5 6400
2. MSI Z170A Gaming M5
3. Ripjaw V 2x4 gb 2400 mhz
4. NZXT S340 casing

My question: Will i be able to overclock the cpu to around 4.0 ghz WITH THE STOCK COOLER ? if not, which cooler at least i need to keep it under 65 (at 100%). Thanks in advance...

Solution
I wouldn't try overclocking it at all with a stock cooler. You may or not may not be able to read core temps. I think it depends on the motherboard, and I'm unsure about the M5. To ensure safe temps, I would follow the Overclocking.Guide tutorial and use a CM 212 EVO or Cryorig H7. Both should allow a safe, modest overclock.

http://overclocking.guide/msi-z170-non-k-overclocking-guide/
I wouldn't try overclocking it at all with a stock cooler. You may or not may not be able to read core temps. I think it depends on the motherboard, and I'm unsure about the M5. To ensure safe temps, I would follow the Overclocking.Guide tutorial and use a CM 212 EVO or Cryorig H7. Both should allow a safe, modest overclock.

http://overclocking.guide/msi-z170-non-k-overclocking-guide/

Solution

MridulSarker

Reputable
Nov 2, 2015

Come on man do you even know about what you are saying? Please get some knowledge before giving it.

chedda87

Reputable
Oct 18, 2014
Lol... People trying to give you advice and that's how you responed...... Intel told motherboard makers to remove bios that overclocks non k chips so he is right that you now need an 6600k to overclock

From what I know the only way to overclock a non-K Skylake is with a special, unsupported, basically hacked bios. All overclocking is at your own risk, but overclocking in this way is extreme at your own risk as with the "special bios" your chip will no longer display its accurate temp, it will always read the temp as 100C. This is very, very risky as you have no idea what temp you are at under load, and can easily damage your processor. Most overclockers using this special bios recommend keeping the Voltage below 1.4V and using a X61 Kraken or better cooler as you have no idea what temp you are at so you need high end cooling.

Overclocking in this method is highly discouraged, and I do not recommend it. If you want to overclock it is much better to just get the i5 6600K. If you really want to use this hacked / cracked "special bios" follow BadActor's link, but I don't recommend it.

There's another member on here overclocking an i5 6500 on an Asrock motherboard and he gets accurate temps, so I know that it does work on some boards. The Bios' that allow overclocking were released by the mobo makers, and not exactly hacked, they just enabled this feature. While Intel is pressuring all the board makers to drop the bclk overclocking capability, they are out and available from a number of sources, so it's probably to late to close that door.

ocing a non k chip is not support u can do it a tiny little bit and is not recommended, thank you for your nice reply.
im just saving him a new chip and a new mobo.

It is currently supported by ASUS, MSI and Gigabyte. Intel, not so much. I wouldn't consider a 4.5ghz to 4.7 ghz overclock a tiny bit. I think you're confusing this with older hardware that only allowed the base clock to be raised a few mhz before causing the system to become unstable.

You can bet that if this starts effecting the sales of their "K" series i5 6600K then Intel is more than likely going to respond by raising the price of the i5 6400. No one is going to spend the extra on a 6600K if the 6400 can overclock just as well and is cheaper. I can foresee Intel either raising the price of the 6400 or using silicon with lower binning for the 6400 thus negating its newfound ability to overclock. Intel "locks" those processors for a reason and that reason is if you want to overclock you have to pay their premium for an unlocked / overclockable processor.