R9 290 flickering!

Jul 15, 2015
It's an R9 290 xfx DD and I'm getting an annoying flickering on the bottom half of my screen. It occurs when I'm watching a video and when playing games. At this point I'm half way from getting a seizure from this flickering..

I bought the card used from a guy that I'm pretty sure he mined with it for at least 3 months judging by the receipt he showed me (6 R9 290s and pentium g1820). The card stays at 50 degrees Idle and about 90-94 at load, I tried changing the thermal paste like 3 or 4 times, I was starting to question my ability to apply basic thermal paste on my gpu.

So I'm asking the question, if my gpu is on it's way to die or there might be a fix?

The r9 290 runs hot and those temps aren't out of the ordinary.
http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/radeon-r9-290-review-benchmarks,11.html

If the card was used in a bitmining rig it could very well be toast. Those mining rigs tend to kill gpu's and even though it was a few months, if it was run constant with 5 other cards and poor ventilation it may be worn similar to a card used for regular gaming for years.

Outside of updating drivers, there doesn't seem to be much you can do. It does sound like it came out of a mining rig and probably just wore out. Like buying a used rental car or one used for a demolition derby.

The only other thing that might be an issue, what brand/model/wattage power supply are you using? How old is it?

Itay080

Reputable
Oct 24, 2014

Are those temps normal for R9 390 as well?
I get 55C in idle, 63 in youtube, 90-95 in games like HITMAN Beta, Rust, etc.

Jul 15, 2015

I've tried every thing from reinstalling drivers(older newer), checking the hdmi cable, checking if the gpu is well in place and all kind of fixes that i've searched in google.

Bought it 2 mounths ago for the gpu(It is new ): http://www.aliexpress.com/item/For-gp-900g-for-desktop-power-supply-gold-medal-800plus-module-power-supply-800w/32326966925.html

I don't really think the psu is the problem though.

Aseem Thakur

Reputable
Jun 22, 2015

Aliexpress has pretty weird products. Like I ineventory bought a ssd and it was fake . And most CPU there are also fake. They psu is probably fake imo

I've never heard of that power supply, typically unknown brands use low quality components. I would want to replace the power supply anyway, but the gpu may still be cooked/worn out from being run under such heavy use as a bitmining rig. Hard to determine much of anything without known good stable power delivery though.

Not much info that I can find about segotep, personally I would avoid them just for that reason. Too many power supplies that are well known with good track records.

This is usually a good place to look, I'd prefer to stick with a tier 1 or tier 2 unit if possible. Definitely wouldn't bother with one less than tier 3.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

Jul 15, 2015

Well thanks for the info and for trying to help. That's probably a lesson for me to never buy a used card again :/

Aseem Thakur

Reputable
Jun 22, 2015

I bought a r9 290 with the same issue where it could completely crashed and my pic wasn't starting. Open a case with eBay and return the item. If that doesn't work rma it