R9 390, temperature 90C, fan speed 100%

Itay080

Reputable
Oct 24, 2014
Hey, my AMD Radeon R9 390 is running at 100% fan speed and 90C when playing games like HITMAN Beta, Rust and so on, the games however run smooth, and I get 60-100 FPS. I was told to get an additional fan for my case, I am going to do that but in a few days, so meanwhile, can I play those games EVEN THOUGH fan speed is at 100% and temperature is at 90C or is it better to wait till I get my new fan?

Solution
MSI Afterburner will not void your warranty in the slightest and I highly recommend you look through any software such as Afterburner you have installed to ensure that the fan is not set at 100% constant instead of auto. I have the same GPU from MSI and even when I reach 90C the fans dont reach 100%, so that is weird to start with. Also, I noticed that the fan speed on the card has nearly no effect to the GPU temp as compared to how massive my case fans effected my temps. I bumped my case fans up about 20% each and received roughly 30C less on the GPU. Given, I have a lot of 140mm case fans, but maybe this will work for you too.
That seems a bit high. Do yo have an intake fan and exhaust fan in place already, or just one of the two? Your ambient temperature also affects your component(s) temperature(s). 90 C is perfectly fine, and won't damage the card in any way, but 100% fan speed must definitely be annoying. Lower the fan RPM in software, like MSI Afterburner, you could probably lower it a bit, and still end up at 90C.

Itay080

Reputable
Oct 24, 2014

I really have no idea, I don't care about the noise, it doesn't bother me, not like I hear anything with my headsets lol. I didn't setup the PC and I don't know anything about hardware, so I can't tell, but if that helps, that's my case http://www.coolermaster.com/case/mid-tower/k282/
I rather not use MSI Afterburner, as far as I understand if I use it I can not use my warranty anymore.

mlga91

Admirable
Take out the side panel and see if the temps get lower. You can also put a fan throwing cold air inside the case, if temps are lower, then the problem is with your case airflow, if not, then you have another problem. Post your case and the model of your GPU like( saphire tri x R9 390).

Itay080

Reputable
Oct 24, 2014

According to where I bought it, GPU is: AMD Radeon R9 390 GAMING 8GB-5 MSI
According to device manager, GPU is just AMD Radeon R9 390 series
http://www.coolermaster.com/case/mid-tower/k282/ configuration is KKN1

Itay080

Reputable
Oct 24, 2014

GPU Z is what I am currently using, 55C on idle, 63C on youtube, 90-95C in heavy games.

TechGuy369

Reputable
Feb 9, 2016
MSI Afterburner will not void your warranty in the slightest and I highly recommend you look through any software such as Afterburner you have installed to ensure that the fan is not set at 100% constant instead of auto. I have the same GPU from MSI and even when I reach 90C the fans dont reach 100%, so that is weird to start with. Also, I noticed that the fan speed on the card has nearly no effect to the GPU temp as compared to how massive my case fans effected my temps. I bumped my case fans up about 20% each and received roughly 30C less on the GPU. Given, I have a lot of 140mm case fans, but maybe this will work for you too.

Solution

Itay080

Reputable
Oct 24, 2014
Thanks guys, I will send it to my technician since it's still under warranty, but, until I do that can I still play games that make it go up to 95C and 100% fan speed?

Componentgirl90

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2015
I would get a number of opinions from the 390 owners club at overclock.net or somewhere like that. The 290s ran in the 90s I believe so you'll probably be ok.

To tech guy I would guess that it's not set to 100% by default as 100% seems to be consistent with a standard fan profile response to 90 degrees celcius, Although that's possible but I would thought he would have mentioned that it was at 100% all the time.