r9 390/ 60fps witcher 3 ultra. Is v-sync necessary?

broidk

Honorable
Oct 22, 2015
So I get 45-60 FPS hovering mostly around 55 with all ultra settings. But, I have no v-sync turned on. I notice some stuttering and a few little "lag" spots I guess you could say and occasionally big-ish jumps which I guess could be the world loading. Is v-sync really necessary, I know what it does I just don't know if it would benefit me by turning down a lot of settings just to have it on? I also have crimson drivers which I don't know if that could make a difference since I am pretty sure they are the beta drivers. Would moving the game to my SSD benefit me greatly in any way? I really would only want a decent amount of performance jump because I only have a 250gb SSD.

Solution
I had Skyrim in 2011 on HDD, no stutters at all (with tons of mods)...only the loading time gave me quite a headache. (HD6850 and 1680x1050)
in 2012 moved it to my old 128GB SSD...beside the loading time, I noticed nothing more.
R9 390 will struggle to drive 60 fps on Witcher 3 on 1080p with all maxed and everything activated.
You will end up having only around 40 fps average.
VSync is usually needed to eliminate screen tearings if the GPU delivers fps more than the monitor refresh rate, usually 60hz (60fps max). VSync could have stuttering risk or side effect, if the fps dips below monitor's refresh rate (60fps).
I would not hurt to activate VSync, if you see stutters, try to deactivate VSync.
You can also try to reduce the settings to keep the fps above 60 and activate VSync. <--- better gameplay.

SSD should not add any extra fps, only the loading screen will be faster. Witcher 3 has quite only a few loadings, unlike Skyrim. The benefit of having Witcher 3 on SSD should be minimal.

BTW, I would start thinking to get a new monitor with higher refresh rate (120Hz/144Hz) with/without FreeSync. You can then disable VSync, for good.

broidk

Honorable
Oct 22, 2015
Well I am running the game with maxed settings with v-sync off with an average of like 50 something with some stuttering and lad like jumps. When I turn it on it goes to like a solid 36 fps on ultra and only jumps to 40 fps on medium settings. I also have my monitor on 144hz and frames on unlimited.

broidk

Honorable
Oct 22, 2015
I have turned it off lol. There is one hairworks setting that only goes to low and not off.. But, with the SSD I was thinking maybe it would help with loading textures and stuff faster and maybe not cause some of those big lagish jumps since the game is open world.

hmmm....that is strange....R9 390 should be equal to GTX970 and my GTX970 can run Witcher 3 on 60 fps (U2412M) @1200p with everything maxed without HairWorks. With HairWorks, if I turn turn everything only to high and only 2x AA on Hair, I get solid above 50fps.
(before I went 1440p (XB270HU) and 2xGTX970s)

BTW, I have never seen games gaining fps boost by using SSD.

broidk

Honorable
Oct 22, 2015
Yeah, I have the same sort of stutter on Skyrim some. I don't know if it could be called stutter, it's really just when looking around it's not COMPLETELY smooth there are like little bumps.

broidk

Honorable
Oct 22, 2015
idk maybe it's just the drivers and I had tons of mods as well as none. Maybe I just need to go back and play the game some to see if I still notice it. But I am in school right now so it's gonna have to be later. Thanks for your input though!