FX 4300 Only 3 cores used (?)

Sagu

Commendable
Mar 8, 2016
So I have weird problem. My Quad-core amd fx 4300 is only using its 3 cores...even in task manager and CPU-Z its showing only 3 cores being active? What the hell is going on?
Ps I installed it just today.
c4928b9a1b.png

Solution
Ok, I just booted up my other computer and got into the BIOS. Under advanced BIOS Features, try changing the CPU core control to manual (from) auto, to see what happens. From the screenshot you posted of the cpu's, it is different than mine. Rather than group Cpu core 0 and 1, 2 and 3 together, I see all 6 cores (in my case) individually listed.

I can't imagine why @BIOS won't let you flash to F3. The other method (Q-Flash) may work. To use that I think you have to first download version F3 from the gigabyte site and then hit F8 on the main BIOS screen. I haven't used that method, so I don't want to make things worse for you. Maybe someone else can offer advice on that method.

But you definitely (per gigabyte) need at least F3...

siviprime

Reputable
Jan 21, 2016
Firstly, try Task Manager -> Performance -> Right-click then 'change graph' to 'logical processors' -> Check how many different graphs there are on the screen. If there are 4, then it is a software issue. If not, probably a hardware issue then.

However before you assume that there is an issue with the CPU, try this:
Run MSConfig -> Change to Boot tab -> Advanced Options -> "Number of Processors", make sure there is no check mark. Now restart the PC and check CPU-Z and Task Manager.

Sagu

Commendable
Mar 8, 2016
I already did that. It only says there are 3 avalible inMSconfig. Also it shows only 3 in Task manager. I have no idea whats going on.

Sagu

Commendable
Mar 8, 2016
idk about the BIOS I haven't ugraded it, just used the version that came with matherboard itself.
Here are my specs:
GIGABYTE GA-78LMT-USB3 AMD 760G
AMD FX 4300 Black Edition
Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800 1600MHz

Halp plox ;__;
Also under msinfo32 it shows that my processor has 2 CORES and 3 LOGICAL CORES..idk if its important...

I was going to link you to the gigabyte page you just linked to. You need at least version F3, but it wouldn't hurt to try F4. Also, have you overclocked the CPU? Your CPU-Z screen shows a frequency of 4016mhz, whereas the stock frequency for the FX 4300 is 3800mhz. That motherboard is not a good overclocker. Go back to stock frequency and see what happens (after updating the BIOS).

Sagu

Commendable
Mar 8, 2016
I tried that as well, just forgot to go back at stock freq. I wanted to see if OCing will chang anything, sadly no. COuld you link me any guide of how should I flash my BIOS? I am not fully sure how to do that.

I will look around for a guide for flashing the BIOS. I don't want to give you bad advice that could mess things up, and it has been about 3 years since I flashed to F3 for my FX 6300. The one thing I do know is that you do not want to flash the BIOS when there is any possibility of loosing power (lightning or windstorm). I think that MB has dual BIOS so if one gets corrupted it will revert to the other one.

From chapter 2 of your motherboard's manual:

"To upgrade the BIOS, use either the GIGABYTE Q-Flash or @BIOS utility.
• Q-Flash allows the user to quickly and easily upgrade or back up BIOS without entering the operating system.
• @BIOS is a Windows-based utility that searches and downloads the latest version of BIOS from the Internet
and updates the BIOS."

If I remember correctly, I used @BIOS to update the BIOS. It should be a utility on your motherboard's CD-ROM (maybe you already installed it when installing motherboard drivers and such). You should also be able to find it on Gigabyte's site.

Edit: Here is the link to the download on Gigabyte's site. http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4305#utility

Sagu

Commendable
Mar 8, 2016
umm seems there is some error when I am trying to update the BIOS. It says on the site that there is only F2 version of BIOS avalible on my modelboard moder (rev 6.0) and F4 on rev 4.1
What should I do?

Sagu

Commendable
Mar 8, 2016
It says that on the Gigabyte site.
url]
also it looks the same as my Mobo model and says the same in CPUz
url]
as you can see it says "6.0". And there is only F2 BIOS version avalible for 6.0 F4 is only on 4.1. So do you think is there any way I can flash the F4 on my MOBO? In order to get that 4th core working?

I have seen cases where CPU-Z doesn't always get things correct. For example, in your screenshot above it says you have the 780G chipset, when in fact that board has the 760G chipset (as per the info you quoted from the Gigabyte site, which is correct). Look on the bottom (i think) of the motherboard itself for the rev #.

Ok, so that establishes the rev is 6.0. Could CPU-Z be incorrectly identifying the BIOS as version F2, when you already have F4? Go into the BIOS itself (reboot computer and start hitting the Delete button on your keyboard about once per second until the BIOS screen comes up). You should be able to see the BIOS version somewhere there.

I am beginning to think you have a CPU with a defective core, but we still need to get you at least BIOS version F3 to work with any FX series CPU as per this link:

http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/cpu-support-popup.aspx?pid=4305

I have the USB2 version of that same board and had no trouble flashing to F3 (which was the latest version back 3 years or so ago).

Oh, and once you are in the BIOS, there is a screen that shows how many cores there are and how many are enabled. Your CPU has 2 physical cores with 4 total logical cores (threads), but the BIOS will see them as 4 CPUs (Cpu 0, 1, 2, 3)

Sagu

Commendable
Mar 8, 2016
I actually haven't try update it to F3...maybe you just cant update to F4. Will do that in sec and write if that works.
btw Thank you so much for your support so far, sir :D

Sagu

Commendable
Mar 8, 2016
Nope. I can't update it to F3. It gives me an error as soon as I chose the F3 file in @BIOS.

About the BIOS. I restarted my PC went into BIOS. This is how it looks like (EXCEPT THERE IS NO OPTION FOR "CPU Core 5-6 as the fuy who took that image have diff processor).
url]
I tried already ENABLING the option with "One core per compute unit" but when I do that, only 2 CORES are working. Keeping both 1-2 core ENABLED and 3-4 ENABLED with one core per compute unit DISABLED shows 3 core working, nothing about 4th.
I have no idea what to do now. .__. oh, btw is there any way I could check if the 4th core is maybe defective? My PC seems run really fine, no artifacts,etc even after whole day of using it (build it today).

Ok, I just booted up my other computer and got into the BIOS. Under advanced BIOS Features, try changing the CPU core control to manual (from) auto, to see what happens. From the screenshot you posted of the cpu's, it is different than mine. Rather than group Cpu core 0 and 1, 2 and 3 together, I see all 6 cores (in my case) individually listed.

I can't imagine why @BIOS won't let you flash to F3. The other method (Q-Flash) may work. To use that I think you have to first download version F3 from the gigabyte site and then hit F8 on the main BIOS screen. I haven't used that method, so I don't want to make things worse for you. Maybe someone else can offer advice on that method.

But you definitely (per gigabyte) need at least F3 for the FX series.

Solution

Sagu

Commendable
Mar 8, 2016
Well. it may be the thing that motherboard revision is using different BIOS version. and it won't let you use other rev BIOS version on different rev. Well. I might try the Qflash, idk if its gonna work tho. Eh. I might just write on some Gigabyte forum. Thank you very much for help tho.

You are welcome. Try contacting Gigabyte support and explain that you can't get the latest BIOS. I can't imagine the latest revision of that board won't accept the latest BIOS version.

At the end of the day, I think you have a defective CPU, but even if you get a replacement, you will need the correct BIOS version.

Post back when (if) you get this resolved, it will help others if it is something simple we are overlooking.