HD 5970 Dual GPU Aftermarket Cooling???

morganw333

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
Hi

I have an HD 5970 that runs bloody hot around 85 degrees on load sometimes hotter.
I'm in New Zealand so I dont have much choice for parts here but just wondering if I could attach 2 aftermarket cpu coolers on it and would that be better than the stock cooler?

Ive also thought about purchasing 2 COOLER MASTER Seidon 120V plus Watercooling kits.
Would that be enough and is there anything else I need to take into account if I do this?

Thanks

Solution
well, i have had the sedion 120v for more than a year, and no issues so far. If i were you i'd start off just removing the heatsink, cleaning off the old and applying new good quality thermal paste, it will likely fix the issue. I use noctua nt-h1 paste, as good as most but no curing time. That and setting a custom fan speed profile. Also, these gpu's are also designed to run at 85c without issue. mounting something like a sedion 120v will require customization of the mounts, best to go to ebay and find another solution.

morganw333

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012

Im not too worried about the age of it as its just in a hobby build. Im doing it more for the fun of it and to see how far I can push it. Also I have never used water cooling so id rather start on a cheap build so if something goes wrong Im not losing a couple of thousand dollars.

well, i have had the sedion 120v for more than a year, and no issues so far. If i were you i'd start off just removing the heatsink, cleaning off the old and applying new good quality thermal paste, it will likely fix the issue. I use noctua nt-h1 paste, as good as most but no curing time. That and setting a custom fan speed profile. Also, these gpu's are also designed to run at 85c without issue. mounting something like a sedion 120v will require customization of the mounts, best to go to ebay and find another solution.

Solution

morganw333

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012

thanks and I have reapplied the thermal paste. how do you find the sedion 120v is there much of a difference from air cooling or would a hyper 212x be just as good? I'm considering it for the cpu which is a phenom x6 1100t. I want to try a whole water cooling loop but just cannot afford too at this stage.