HD 5870 crossfire vs GTX 750ti

throllen

Commendable
Mar 10, 2016
I want to upgrade my current HD 5870 crossfire. I wonder if I should get a GTX 750ti (I am low on budget). Is this a viable upgrade?

Solution
The GTX 750ti would be a significantly better card than the 2x 5870s. The power consumption and temperatures would also be a lot better.
Just check your PSU has enough cables to support the GPU and ensure that your motherboard supports PCI 3.0 x16 and you should be fine.
Overall the 750ti is a great GPU for the price and should do you nicely.

Kliqx

Reputable
Aug 11, 2015
The GTX 750ti would be a significantly better card than the 2x 5870s. The power consumption and temperatures would also be a lot better.
Just check your PSU has enough cables to support the GPU and ensure that your motherboard supports PCI 3.0 x16 and you should be fine.
Overall the 750ti is a great GPU for the price and should do you nicely.

Solution
The GTX750Ti is not much of an upgrade other than more VRAM (I assume you have 1GB on the HD5870).

By my quick calculation it's 25% faster. Overclocking it would pull ahead even more but on the other hand a weaker CPU like you may have will bottleneck things in some games so it's hard to predict (let's just say between 15% and 35% estimate).

I'm not sure what to expect from Crossfire either since the 1GB of VRAM may be a big issue, nor am I certain what you would PAY for a card.

Not many modern games run well with 1GB of VRAM (Crossfire does not add the memory. It's cloned so each GPU uses an identical pool)

So...
I would go with a GTX750Ti (see pcpartpicker). The Crossfire setup will get higher frame rates in some games but that's all for naught if a game doesn't support Crossfire or needs more video memory.

*You may see a lot less STUTTER even if the average frame rate is only say 25% higher.

Example:
I had Skyrim running on my HD5870 1GB card and it ran okay. I checked VRAM and it was pretty much maxed out though. I added the HD texture pack and performance dropped and I got a lot of stuttering.

I then upgraded to a GTX680. Yes, a much faster card but the point is that with the basic HD texture pack and no other mods I was going well over 1GB so it's probable that SOME of the stutter I had before was a lack of video memory (Skyrim still stutters for other reasons no matter what though).

Here's some basic numbers (Skyrim + HD Texture Pack + no mods):

VRAM (max) - 1.5GB
SYS RAM (max) - 1.75GB

SYS RAM is what the game ONLY used. Same for VRAM, though I can't test VRAM usage now with Windows 10 (in W7 I could disable advanced visual features and launch game with 30MB of VRAM usage).

Basically I need 2GB VRAM and 4GB System RAM to avoid major stutters. After that, tweak the game to get the optimal frame rate.

(Just one game example)