r9 390 low clocks

SofosVoutsas

Reputable
Nov 29, 2015
Hello guys recently i bought my new graphics card r9 390.Now when i open msi afterburner it shows me that my gpu has 520 mhz on core clock and 750 mhz on memory (stock clocks are 1040mhz core and 1500 memory why this happens? and yes i tested it in some games (battlefield 4,Gta V,Black Ops 3) and the core clock in the graph it shows 520 mhz on core clock. ( http://prntscr.com/advn45 ). So guys if u can help me leave a comment down below.thanks

Solution

It's hard to say since you didn't mention which 390 you had. In general the 390 is a hot running GPU (as are all of AMD's GPU's), but depending on the cooling solution they can be tamed down. My guess is that you have a good cooler on it and reasonably low ambient temperatures. Also likely, you keep your system clean too.

At 55 degrees, you've got nothing to worry about.
On the desktop, the card will run 2D clocks which are much lower than the 3D clocks. To know what your clock speeds are in game, you need to show them in the OSD. This will give you an On Screen Display in the left top corner of your screen while gaming.

SofosVoutsas

Reputable
Nov 29, 2015

Yea i have 520mhz core clock too there in OSD while playing heavy games its still 520mhz i diont know why

Have you tried a complete driver re-install? Uninstall drivers, Safe Mode and run DDU, then Normal Mode, re-install drivers.

Couldn't hurt to uninstall Afterburner and re-install it from scratch. Make sure not to keep anything when you uninstall it, it will ask you, tell it no.

SofosVoutsas

Reputable
Nov 29, 2015

i have already done both ofthese steps man and its still low clocks..Current driver version:15.201.1151.1008.....i cant run in safe mode? http://prntscr.com/adw3oi

Why can't you run in Safe Mode? Are you running Windows 8 or higher and F8 doesn't work?

Easiest way to boot into Safe Mode is run msconfig, select the boot tab and in Boot Options, check Safe Mode and it'll default to Minimal. Hit Apply and Ok and it should offer to reboot, do it. Once you reboot, it'll boot to Safe Mode, do your stuff in there. Before rebooting, re-run msconfig and uncheck Safe Mode, otherwise it'll just keep booting into Safe Mode.

Once you've boot into normal mode, install the driver. Are you using the latest Crimson Drivers?

SofosVoutsas

Reputable
Nov 29, 2015

hey man i just installed the latest crimson drivers 16.1 and my clocks are back to defaults 1040mhz core and 1500 memory... i dont know maybe my previous drivers were shitt

I'm not sure, but I think the Crimson 16.1 driver had an issue with locking the fan to 20%. It doesn't affect anyone who uses custom fan profiles from something like Afterburner, but if you leave the card to control the fans itself, it will not ramp the fan up when the GPU gets hot. I think they released a Hot Fix for it shortly afterwards.

It's hard to say since you didn't mention which 390 you had. In general the 390 is a hot running GPU (as are all of AMD's GPU's), but depending on the cooling solution they can be tamed down. My guess is that you have a good cooler on it and reasonably low ambient temperatures. Also likely, you keep your system clean too.

At 55 degrees, you've got nothing to worry about.

Solution

SofosVoutsas

Reputable
Nov 29, 2015

Hey man i want your opinion about something.I have an i5 2300 with my r9 390 and i want to buy The divsion (Tom clancys) and i wanted to know if my cpu can handle this game...

Well the minimum specs say an i5 2400. The difference is essentially 300MHz. It's possible that'll run, but I can't say for sure that it will run well. The installer / game itself could auto detect the CPU and refuse to run.

In the long run, the game may be patched to be better optimized as has happened with other games. Your GPU on the other hand is above the recommended specs though.

I'd say cautiously yes, but if the game or installer detects the CPU it may refuse to run.

SofosVoutsas

Reputable
Nov 29, 2015

Thank you man for your time..:p