FX-6300 Cooling problem?

4asute6bez10

Reputable
Jul 8, 2015
Hey guys, I have a problem with my cooling, I think. My fan speed wont go above 3500 RPM on my fx 6300 stock cooler which causes fps drops, despite that my temps wont go above 65-70. What might be the problem?

PC Specs:
FX-6300
ASRock 960gm-vgs3 fx
2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600 (running at 1333)
400W brand new PSU no brand, since I had it and my old one died
1TB HDD 6-8 years old
ZOTAC GTX 750Ti 2GB

Solution
Hmm, I would say upgrade the stock cooler. The AMD coolers are notorious for being prone to overheating. I have the same CPU just with a different cooler and it works fine. Your PSU souldn't be an issue if it's not a cheap no-name one either.

4asute6bez10

Reputable
Jul 8, 2015

That's the thing, I tried on medium, low, very low, but the problem still exists.

ShadyOrb09

Reputable
Feb 11, 2015

Hello, by reading this I already think I've spotted the issue. I had a similar issue to this. I was building a PC and was running low on money, so I skipped out a bit on the PSU and bought a cheap one off Ebay, and I paid the price, that's for sure. I know it's not your issue, but you said your old one died and you're not using a no-name branded PSU.

The FPS drops are probably do to that PSU dying or it's not enough to run the games you're playing. I had the exact same issue, and it eventually ended up basically exploding in my case lol. (Not to say it'll do the same for you.)
Have you noticed degrading performance, like 60FPS one day, week later 45-50FPS sort of thing?

What games are you playing exactly?

4asute6bez10

Reputable
Jul 8, 2015

Well I have been using this PSU for like a month and had no problems with it.

No name psus are a total waste of money. They may get your system going but they cause much more problems than they solve. At the very minimum you need a 80+ Bronze psu for system stability when the system is being pushed.

You also do have a cooling problem as your temps are 65-70C when just gaming, that means if your system were actually pushed under a stress test your temps would be over the thermal max of 70C. Overclockers target to keep their overclocked rigs under 62C, 65-70C gaming at stock is far too hot. The problem isn't the fan its the stock coolers are not of good quality. You will need to get an aftermarket cooler for your system. The very best budget cooler is the Cryorig H7, however the Hyper 212 EVO is also very good and can sometimes be gotten cheaper that the H7.

I wish I had better news, but you will need to get a better psu, a brand name 80+ Bronze at the very least. You will also have to get an aftermarket cooler to address your heat problems.

ShadyOrb09

Reputable
Feb 11, 2015

If It was cheap it could happen in a day.

Riley H

Commendable
Mar 15, 2016
Hmm, I would say upgrade the stock cooler. The AMD coolers are notorious for being prone to overheating. I have the same CPU just with a different cooler and it works fine. Your PSU souldn't be an issue if it's not a cheap no-name one either.

Solution