i5 4460 GTX 970 vs i5 4690k GTX 960 4GB

Solution
If you're a gamer, the i5 4460 970 is the better option. Actually if you want a better card for around the same money, consider the 390 instead of the 970. The 390 beats the 970 in most games and cost about the same. It actually beats the 980 in a couple of games.
If you're a gamer, the i5 4460 970 is the better option. Actually if you want a better card for around the same money, consider the 390 instead of the 970. The 390 beats the 970 in most games and cost about the same. It actually beats the 980 in a couple of games.

Solution
The motherboard actually makes a big difference. If you get the 4690K then get a Z170 board so you can overclock it. Your original question is basically robbing Peter to pay Paul type of deal, if you short out on the cpu the better gpu won't be as useful. Whatever cpu you get don't get the 960 if you want it to last a while, the 970 is way more powerful. Also the 390 from AMD is even better and cost about the same and it seems to run DX12 stuff better.

If the primary use is gaming, the 4460 will perform as fast or nearly so as the 4690. If the OP does anything that relies heavily on the CPU (content creation, video editing, transcoding) then the additional cost of the 4690K "might" be worth it. Overclocking rarely (read almost never) makes much of a difference to gaming. It will make a marginal difference on the CPU intensive tasks I've already mentioned. Unless overclocking is your hobby, the effort is never worth the benefit.

The money spent on the 4690 vs the 4460 will be better spent on the graphics card if the OP is a gamer. Neither of the CPU's is going to bottleneck a 390.

Overclocking makes a difference in cpu bound games all the time. Especially games that are 1-2 thread bound. The boost from a 4 core cpu at 3.5Ghz to 4.5Ghz is very substantial in these situations. I have been overclocking for 20 years and it was always to get the games to run better, and they did. Maybe you have just had bad experiences with overclocking. I will agree that for current games the 4460 can run many very well but the 4690k has a higher clock speeds allowing better performance in games that need it. I will say that if you have a weak gpu then overclocking the cpu isn't going to magically make games run faster because the gpu is already at max. If the GPU is extremely powerful and not able to run at fun potential then overclocking the cpu will help.

Any games that utilizing a single core are likely old games that would benefit from overclocking if they weren't already able to put out 300fps anyway. I've been overclocked since the 90's and the last time I felt that overclocking had any impact was with my Q6600 C2Q, and only because it had ridiculous headroom. I was able to easily get 3200MHz out of a stock 2400MHz chip which is essentially 133% of the original clock, so a increase of 33%. Getting 400 - 500 MHz on a CPU that is already clocked at 3.9 GHz (turbo clock) just isn't worth the time, effort, cost (motherboard and cooling), for such a little almost non-existent return.

Most games are GPU dependent (except for RTS's, and high count multiplayer FPS like BF4), and the only way you can make the CPU bound is if you through a multi-GPU config that puts the bottleneck on the CPU.

Evoke186

Reputable
Nov 11, 2015

that makes the choice even clearer, i5-4460 and gtx 970 is the way to go. the 4460 won't bottleneck the 970 at all.

Wow, the 390 is the same price as the 970 here in Canada. Well then the choice is clear, the i5 4460 with the 970. My son has the i5 4460 and it certainly isn't a bottleneck for any games that he plays. I have a i7 4770K, but I do some distributed computing, so I benefit from the faster CPU and hyperthreading.