Best 120~GB SSD From This List? (For Windows)

GreyPhantom

Reputable
Sep 2, 2014
Hello!

Here's a list of SSD's I can choose from. Please take price into consideration (Price/Value).

They are under the " SSD ( Solid State Drive / Ultra Fast) " Section:
(
http://pcandparts.com/price.htm

I think I'll only add windows 10, and a few programs like After Effects, Maya, etc... on there.

I heard Samsung Pro is good, but they only have 256GB version for 138$... I'm not sure it's worth it.

Help my poor ignorant soul!

And Thank you!! :)

Solution
Get a 250+ GB SSD. Most 120GB SSDs use half the number of flash dies of the 250+ GB versions, and their performance suffers because of it. Basically, a low-end 250GB SSD will usually be faster than a high-end 120GB SSD. (Not that there's much reason to get a low-end 250GB SSD with the aggressive pricing on the 850 EVO)

The same does not hold for 500+ GB SSDs because at 250+ GB they're currently capped by the SATA3 limit. This will change gradually as PCIe SSDs become more common. But for now there's not much performance improvement going for 500GB or 1TB instead of 250GB.
Get a 250+ GB SSD. Most 120GB SSDs use half the number of flash dies of the 250+ GB versions, and their performance suffers because of it. Basically, a low-end 250GB SSD will usually be faster than a high-end 120GB SSD. (Not that there's much reason to get a low-end 250GB SSD with the aggressive pricing on the 850 EVO)

The same does not hold for 500+ GB SSDs because at 250+ GB they're currently capped by the SATA3 limit. This will change gradually as PCIe SSDs become more common. But for now there's not much performance improvement going for 500GB or 1TB instead of 250GB.

Solution

GreyPhantom

Reputable
Sep 2, 2014

Thank you!

Question, What's the difference between a SAMSUNG 850 EVO M.2 and a SAMSUNG 850 EVO SATA III... The Sata II was sold out, can i get the M.2 and put it in my desktop?

M.2 is the new connector format for SSDs, replacing SATA. Some (but not all) M.2 connectors support PCIe, so this will give M.2 SSDs a faster connection to your computer than SATA. Right now it's mostly found on laptops. If your motherboard does not have a M.2 connector, you will be unable to use a M.2 drive. And if it does have a M.2 connector, you need to first figure out if it's a SATA M.2, PCIe M.2, or both types M.2 connector.

The Samsung 850 Pro is good, but for most people the extra price is not worth the small performance increase over the 850 EVO. I would recommend the Pro only if you are doing a large number of write/erases (on the order of hundreds of GB per day - e.g. large transactional databases), or if you need maximum speed with compressed data. Since you mention video editing programs, you may fall into this latter category. All depends how much you're willing to pay, how often you edit videos, and how big the videos are.

Those SSD prices are ridiculously bad. Amazon has the 250GB 850 EVO (SATA3 version) for $88, and that's their regular price. I've seen them selling it for $75. They sell the 256GB 850 Pro for $122, though it was on sale for $117 for about a week last month.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-2-5-Inch-Internal-MZ-75E250B-AM/dp/B00OAJ412U
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LMXBOP4

If you've never ordered from jet.com, you may wish to try them. They offer 15% off your first order, which would bring the 256GB 850 Pro down to about $116.

GreyPhantom

Reputable
Sep 2, 2014

Thank you for the advice, but I'm afraid all the shopping options are wasted on me.

Third worlder here, no where near the states... order+shipping would be the same price, pretty much.

I have the MSI Z97 Gaming 7, so i suppose the M.2 will work on it?

Anyway i just ordered it.

Thank you for the advice :)

TRENDING THREADS