FX 6300 Over clocking Troubble

Matt_matrix

Reputable
Nov 5, 2015
ive tried to over clock my fx-6300 Repeatedly with no avail; i cant break 4.2 ghz without insane voltages, (max stable clock 4.2ghz @ 1.44v) been running this clock stable 24/7 for all of three months; even then i still get a crash here and there) access of 1.48v and even then its not stable, cooling isn't an issue, if got plenty of fans, A AC unit full-blast and an h80i; im sure its my chip; some sub-par silicon, and my horrific luck kicking me in the junk, Should i RMA or is there any advice anyone can give me?

Solution
You have a Black Edition FX processor. Yours is just binned in the average range for an average overclock with the FX 6300. People like to incorrectly say things about FX processors all the time like "the FX 6300 and the FX 6350 are the same processor, one is just factory clocked better"and "there is no difference between the FX 8320, FX 8350, FX 8370 or FX 9xxx series they just have different factory stocks" (and in the case of the FX 9xxx series different TDP). These people are wrong, yet their opinion perpetuates throughout these pages and other tech sites.

The FX 6300 and FX 6350 do not have the same binning. The FX 6350 chips have better binning and can therefore overclock better than the FX 6300. Now it is true that earlier...
Overclocking a Cpu comes in two parts.

It`s not just to do with the cpu it`s self Matt.

But also the quality of the motherboard you have.
With a low budget motherboard you have a harder time overclocking cpu`s.
Than you would with more expensive Motherboards that can cost you £100 plus pounds.

It also goes on the main chip set used on the motherboard as to how much of an overclock you can get out of a cpu fitted in the cpu socket of the board.

Cheap or low end priced motherboards limit how much you can overclock the cpu.
And also how good your power supply unit in the system is.
And also the memory sticks in relation to speed they can run at.

For example if you popped the cpu into a £100 to £150 motherboard you would likely get the cpu to about 4.5 Ghz. @ 1.35v
With a well branded power supply unit of a high wattage.
And good quality DDR 3 memory at 2400Mhz rated speeds.

IN YOUR BIOS.

Turn the Amd turbo feature off in your bios for starters.
Lower the set HT speed.
Turn off cool and quiet on the motherboard.
And then try setting the Multi manually by half value Ie: 21.5

Set the cpu core voltage manually to 1.35v

For most people the average overclock on a FX based cpu is 800Mhz.
With a Good quality motherboard and cpu cooling solution, power supply and memory.

About 1Ghz or slightly more on a overclock of the FX cpu.

Matt_matrix

Reputable
Nov 5, 2015

GA-990FXA-UD3 R5 Cheap but not that cheap...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128859

the Ram G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231660

PSU (im shure its not my weakest link) CX600M
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ALYOPSS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

How are you trying to overclock? BIOS, or windows program? FSB or cpu muliplier? Are you messing with RAM speeds and North Bridge speeds and or voltages as well? Start simple with just the cpu using the multiplier and voltage in the BIOS. Also what are you using for cooling and what are cpu and VRM temps?

Matt_matrix

Reputable
Nov 5, 2015

The Bios; i did tinker a bit with amd over drive and it got my cpu to run @4.5 but it crashed and i never touched it again... but that was after trying to OC with BIOS dozens of times unsuccessfully...

It is possible that you just got a crappy cpu, it is called the silicon lottery for a reason, and there is a reason that cpu is a 6300 not a 8350 or 8370 or 9XXX..

Matt_matrix

Reputable
Nov 5, 2015

yes ive identified that as an option, and stated such in my comment; thanks for recapping well know info, i wanted to know if there's something im missing, or doing wrong...

Matt_matrix

Reputable
Nov 5, 2015

-_- RMA; Rinse and repeat then...

Kinda not ethical to RMA a cpu or motherboard that works fine at the stock settings that it was sold to do. But do what you want. Overclocking has always been a bonus that is like winning the lottery or something. It is the way she goes, sometimes she goes and sometimes she doesn't.

Matt_matrix

Reputable
Nov 5, 2015

I care not about ethics when it comes to my hardware; wear not talking about abortion or weather or not to feed all the children in Somalia or let them all starve and buy everyone Bugatti Veyrons; i care about price to performance maximization, and if that means taking a few hundred dollars out of a large corporations pocket so be it...

Glad not everyone feels that way.

Before trying to RMA it (which has been pointed out as not only unethical but also may not be honored because by overclocking you acknowledge you void any warranty because you are running the processor beyond manufactures specifications), at any rate before you try to RMA it you may want to reset CMOS and try everything from scratch. You have had several failed overclocking attempts and somewhere along the line may have changed a setting that is now causing issues. I would suggest pulling the lithium battery on the motherboard (with the system unplugged of course) for a few minutes, then reinstall the battery and reboot the system. Load bios and now everything should be back to stock settings. Disable all power saving options set the Vcore to manual and start from scratch by slowing raising the multiplier (and only the multiplier) and adjusting the Vcore as needed. After each 100Mhz overclock be sure to test with Prime 95 (or OCCT, ect) for 15 minutes, if it passes then bump up the multiplier, if it fails bump the Vcore, ect... your first 100Mhz overclock should be tested at stock voltage, don't just start off with bumping the voltage right off the bat.

Matt_matrix

Reputable
Nov 5, 2015

thanks; i may have done something wrong; as you said; likely due to my incompetence, as it was the first time ive ever attempted such a thing; ill give all you said a try and report back in a bit... thanks.

Naw, not incompetence, overclocking is a very fine skill and even people who know what they are doing and have done it for years make mistakes. My own personal system was stuck at 4.7Ghz for over two months because I had some obscure setting wrong (can't remember which one now) that I totally overlooked until I had to go into bios to check on something else. Had that "omg moment", fixed it and was able to push 5.05Ghz @ 1.46V (mulitplier and fsb) and my max overclock of 5.5Ghz @ 1.55V (although I just did that to see how far I could go, my everyday clock of 5.05 is plenty and running 1.55V 24/7 is not advisable).

It is very easy to have just one setting wrong that messes up your entire overclock. If you haven't already given it a glance you should read the posted guide. It is for an FX 8350 and Asus motherboard, but the main settings will be the same and will give you a few really good pointers.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1348623/amd-bulldozer-and-piledriver-overclocking-guide-asus-motherboard

Matt_matrix

Reputable
Nov 5, 2015

i started from scratch, as you commented, no power save settings, ect. and from 3.5Gz @ 1.27v i got to 3.9 before needing to bump voltage, and then it all went down hill from, there
after Successfully benching 3.9 GHz at stock Voltage, i tried 4.0ghz and then had to gradually bump my voltage to 1.34 then to 1.36 to get it to bench stable (Ok voltages i assume) then i bumped the Clock speed to 4.1ghz and its voltage requirement drastically shifts; it suddenly needs at least 1.42v to even post ... WTF... then i bump the voltage to 1.44 and its suddenly stable enough to bench ( witch is like my previous clock a 4.2Ghz with 1.44v and normal LLC) i then bump it to exactly what my old cloc kwas then bench; i works of course, then attempt to surpass it, and i meed the same astounding failure as before; No matter how much voltage i add it posts and crashes within 60sec of starting a new bench. guess im just capped at 4.2 Ghz with this chip.

i also notice with in hw manager, that voltage at stock with 4.1 Boost, that under the boost clock voltage jumps to 1.452v to sustain it,.. so this confirms my suspicions a bit...
Also I Activated high performance computing mode, (makes it stay at max clock/ disables throttling) and Cpu Unlock within Gigabytes UEFI Bios; these are not interfering right?

Every chip has that overclock "wall" that you are experiencing. The chip doesn't need hardly any Vcore to get that extra 100Mhz and then all of a sudden you have to push more and more voltage with every 100Mhz gained. Your "wall" is at 4Ghz with your processor, up to 3.9 at stock voltage is very good, but then every 100 over that 4Ghz and its going to require more and more voltage. An FX chip can handle Vcore up to 1.55V, but realistically I wouldn't push it past 1.5V to be safe. I noticed with my FX 8370 when I had 1.55V @ 5.5Ghz the voltage would spike up to 1.6V under load, and even though my cooling is more than adequate 1.6V was really outside of my comfort zone.

You can see if you can push your processor to 4.3Ghz and 1.5V, but I wouldn't go above 1.5V as under stress you will probably see voltage jumps near 1.55V. Most FX processors can overclock around 1Ghz over their stock clocks, but anything within the 800Mhz - 1.2Ghz range overclocking is what I deem as normal overclocking range. Guys you see who have overclocked to 1.5Ghz+ over the stock clocks have what we deem as "golden" processors that have very good binning. You chip isn't binned very great, but you may still be able to get to that 800Mhz overclock at 4.3Ghz ~ 1.5V as long as your temps are under control. Unfortunately they call it the "silicon lottery" for a reason.

Matt_matrix

Reputable
Nov 5, 2015

Just as a experiment i pushed the 4.4ghz @ 1.52v it would post; but crash if i tried to open any applications whatsoever; i also tryied 4.5; same result; so yea my Cpu Hit the wall.... hard; like a 16 year old supermodel....

Matt_matrix

Reputable
Nov 5, 2015
like i said for some reason desired clocks can be reached; and forced withn oc sofware in OS, but nowhere near with BIOS settings, althought i would never run Clocks that way... heres some images before i close the thread

Amd Overdrive benched this for twenty min stable; it crashed when it bumped to 4.6Ghz
Untitledgg.png

http://postimg.org/image/gokiyagax/

this is the best i could get manual with The BIOS settings
Untitleddad.png

http://postimg.org/image/tv883e5b7/

Matt_matrix

Reputable
Nov 5, 2015

and how would i do that?? (im new to OCing)

Matt_matrix

Reputable
Nov 5, 2015

i know its 12 hours later; but my stepping is 0

You have a Black Edition FX processor. Yours is just binned in the average range for an average overclock with the FX 6300. People like to incorrectly say things about FX processors all the time like "the FX 6300 and the FX 6350 are the same processor, one is just factory clocked better"and "there is no difference between the FX 8320, FX 8350, FX 8370 or FX 9xxx series they just have different factory stocks" (and in the case of the FX 9xxx series different TDP). These people are wrong, yet their opinion perpetuates throughout these pages and other tech sites.

The FX 6300 and FX 6350 do not have the same binning. The FX 6350 chips have better binning and can therefore overclock better than the FX 6300. Now it is true that earlier chips were not all that different and in a lot of cases an early FX 6300 would have the same binning, sometimes better than the FX 6350. However the Piledriver arch is in a very mature stage at this point and the chips are separated not by clock speed but by binning. The FX 6350 has better binning than the FX 6300. The same is true of the 8 core processors the FX 8320 has the lowest binning, the FX 8350 has mid-range binning and the FX 8370 and FX 9xxx series have the best binning. I haven't overclocked a newer FX 8320 that was able to get stable over 4.6Ghz in a very long time, however early samples could overclock to 5Ghz. The FX 8350 usually hits the wall at the 4.8Ghz range now, current chips are very lucky if they can get to 5Ghz (early samples could get over 5Ghz). The big overclocker is now the FX 8370, which on average can get to 5Ghz, and better samples can get more than 5Ghz. If overclocked properly the FX 9xxx series can also overclock nicely (although you really have to know what you are doing with these 220W beasts).

The point is the FX Piledriver process is very mature now and you get what you pay for. The lower tier processors will run great at stock, they can all still overclock, but will never overclock as well as the upper tiers anymore. Overclocking is all dependent on the binning of the chip and the higher tier processors have the best binning.

Looking at the screen shots of your overclock it is a safe bet that at your 4.5Ghz overclock it would not pass Prime 95 or OCCT for a 4 hour run, so its not going to be stable at 4.5Ghz. Your best overclock that you can achieve with your FX 6300 is 4.4Ghz, and there is nothing wrong with that. You are 900Mhz over your stock clock and should get a nice bump in performance. I would say for current FX 6300 processors you are right in the normal range for what you can hope to get out of an overclock with the FX 6300, 4.4Ghz is nothing to be "ashamed" of.

Solution

Thanx for explaining this issue with FX processors, you took words right out of my mouth (keyboard). It should be made a sticky or on it's own.
All those "Old wife tails" about AMD processors, like stepping, BE and built in MC make people think they can get by cheaper and still have same performance. The truth is that you still get what you pay for.

TRENDING THREADS