Will we see an i7-6770/6790k?

rottensnake

Reputable
Mar 9, 2015
Hello,

I'm curious as to whether we should expect a higher performance variant of the 6700k sometime in the next year. I'm only asking because last time we got the 4770k and then the 4790k not too long after that. Would a 6790k be Kaby Lake or Cannon Lake or whatever the next version will be?

Thanks!
RS

Solution
Yes, the next step is the Kaby Lake. It's main advantage over the Skylake is its built in video processing commands. Otherwise they are saying it will be about 5% more instructions per clock. The non laptop version is coming out December 2016.
Yes, the next step is the Kaby Lake. It's main advantage over the Skylake is its built in video processing commands. Otherwise they are saying it will be about 5% more instructions per clock. The non laptop version is coming out December 2016.

Solution

rottensnake

Reputable
Mar 9, 2015

Ok I hadn't read that anywhere yet. Any links I can check out?

Thanks!

No (well maybe) Haswell Refresh i7 4770 to 4790 was a response to the need for better TIM in Haswell and the delay of the node shrink from Haswell to Broadwell.

Skylake seems to be OK from an engineering perspective. However, if the node shrink to Cannonlake is delayed, or Kaby Lake is delayed (and it is a planned and controlled Skylake Refresh), and node shrinks seem to be getting quite delayed across the board these days, a separate Skylake Refresh line might need to be inserted to into the plan to keep things going. (But I can't see it happening, that's what Kaby Lake is for)

http://wccftech.com/intel-kaby-lake-q3-2016-cannonlake-2017/

TRENDING THREADS