R9 270 or R7 265 with a CX430

D_B_Z

Reputable
Aug 15, 2014
The rest of my rig:
Core 2 Quad Q8300 (not OC)
Hitachi 750GB 7200RPM HDD
4GB DDR3 RAM (1GB+1GB+2GB)

Is my current PSU sufficient for either card(both are the same price) or should I go lower to a r7 260x or something like a GTX 750Ti?
Both cards in title are Saphhire Dual-X

Solution

270 is the better card, so go for that.

barto

Expert
Ambassador

Careful. Corsair has some very good power supplies made by Seasonic. The CX and VX series are the questionable ones for stressful situations. The RM series is decent but the TX, HX and AX series are stellar. The EVGA 1s suffer the same quality issues that the CX and VX series have. The EVGA 2's and S's are solid power supplies. Just know that with power supplies it's not always and all or nothing.

DBZ, you would probably be OK with the CX430 considering the 750 ti is a very power efficient GPU. It will most likely peak at 70 watts. As for a 270 or 265 might be a little bit of a stretch considering they can double a 750 ti power consumption. I wouldn't invest in anything higher than a 260 or a 750 ti. The Q8300 will most likely bottleneck anything higher even if you overclocked.

D_B_Z

Reputable
Aug 15, 2014

The thing is that this is just a temporary rig and will be upgraded down the line so I just wanted to casually pick up a nice GPU right now to use in that rig.
Furthermore, I don't think I will stress out either of those GPUs as I mostly game at 1680*1050 and mostly low requirement titles like DOTA and CS-GO. I imagine that I won't even be able to run the demanding titles cos of my current CPU.
extreme powersupply calculator gives the recommended PSU wattage at 385W for r7 265 and 425W for r9 270 so is it still a bad idea to go with either of these GPUs?

I live in Pakistan so dont have a lot of options available for either PSUs or GPUs.

barto

Expert
Ambassador

Yes. Here's why. The PSU as a single +12V rail which has a rated output of 384 watts. The +12V rail is where most of the heavy components are connected. Typically you don't want to put more than 70-80% load on that rail. Overloading the rail will shorten the life of the PSU very quickly and it could also lead to damaging the PSU and other components. For a 270, you're going to want a 500 watt PSU.

Things that PSU calculators don't tell you...

D_B_Z

Reputable
Aug 15, 2014

Well I guess the best option right now would be to buy a good PSU for future use rather than a decent GPU. Can you tell me some good options that meet my needs from the pages below:

http://galaxy.com.pk/power-supply-pakistan.html
http://www.czone.com.pk/power-supply-pakistan-ppt.183.aspx

Under Rs.10000 please
The best option IMO is a tier 3 CM silent pro gold 550W at Rs.7800. The rest(under 10k) are either tier 4 or expensive but, as you know, I have rather limited knowledge on this subject. What do you think suits me best?

NOTE: These are pretty much the only options available to me so pls don't suggest things like XFX, EVGA or Seasonic etc.

D_B_Z

Reputable
Aug 15, 2014

The 950 is rather expensive for my budget. Even the 750ti costs a lil more than both cards in title which is why I am looking for the most bang for the buck.

D_B_Z

Reputable
Aug 15, 2014

This is terribly confusing, the above posts say that I can't use the cx430 and its too risky and you are saying that its just fine. Is there something that I'm missing?

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Its pretty simple really, your PSU has 384w on the 12v rail, your CPU will use about 95w max, so as long as you pick a graphics card that uses less than 150w you will be well within specs, everything else in your system will use a negligible amount of power.

People here often spread misinformed opinions, rather than actually knowing how it all works.

The 260x, 265 or 750ti will all work fine.

D_B_Z

Reputable
Aug 15, 2014

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-r7-265-review,3748-8.html

Here, it says that the r7 265 can draw over 200W on GPU load(same as r9 270) so is still OK?

D_B_Z

Reputable
Aug 15, 2014

So between the R7 265 and the R9 270 which would be the better(and safer) option as both are the same price

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

270 is the better card, so go for that.

Solution

wh3resmycar

Distinguished

i have more than 10 (cx430s) corsair psu's in my LANSHOP. most of them pushing 5 years or more. my very first vx450 is pushing 8 years. so i disagree with what you're saying. right now i'm using a gs600 (6 years old).

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

I agree. Have done numerous builds with Corsair CX PSUs and have found them to be extremely reliable and not had any issues. But, many of the people here have read that they use chinese caps, and believe they are poor quality or unreliable as a result...

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Clearly not very much

If you have an CX its not going to blow up or kill your PC, its not a crappy PSU, but it has some shortcomings about it which is what i will talk about in this thread.

So yeah, not much. There is no reason his PSU cannot power his system and a 270, you just dont know what you are talking about and doesnt look like you even read the thread you linked...