120 MM Fan cutout on a Dell XPS 9100 Case

32starview

Commendable
Mar 8, 2016
Hi all. I have a Dell XPS 9100 case with a I7 920 that I got in 2010. Since its survived so far I've been modding it and upgrading it every now and then. If you want to see latest upgrades and what case looks like, [video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4tT6mJDLs4"]see this video[/video] (apologies on the quality).

I just got a EVGA 650 W ECO PSU which in the Dell case is mounted where the case only supports the fan taking heated air in from inside the case. Since I cannot flip it to the bottom of the case as the MB and graphics card don't support it, I was looking at cutting a 120 MM hole in the top bezel and flipping the PSU around.

I think the top bezel appears to be plastic , maybe an inch or so thick, over the case steel cage.

Any idea whether this is something that can even be done (cut 2 different materials), will look clean and will even benefit the PSU enough to go to this trouble ? I've never done something like that before (only cut the side panel).

Note I will have a metal mesh and dust filter to enure nothing drops in the opening, assuming I decide to do it.

Any comments welcome. Thanks - Will

Solution
IMHO, one of the trademark design features were the bold strokes done on an XPS chassis and due to those lines have made it stand out from the crowd. In fact to this day with computer aficionados, when you mention a desktop grade Dell XPS or even the sight of it will cause such enthusiasts to instantly recognize what you're working with. My take on the matter would be to not do anything to it and leave it as is+if you so much as want to have the PSU take in cooler air, it'd be better if you could redo the motherboard panel and the PSU placement which would mean having to flip the case internals around.

If you must go forward, usually bi-metal hole saws will cut through plastic and metal though you'll need to keep a steady hand and have...

Lutfij

Titan
IMHO, one of the trademark design features were the bold strokes done on an XPS chassis and due to those lines have made it stand out from the crowd. In fact to this day with computer aficionados, when you mention a desktop grade Dell XPS or even the sight of it will cause such enthusiasts to instantly recognize what you're working with. My take on the matter would be to not do anything to it and leave it as is+if you so much as want to have the PSU take in cooler air, it'd be better if you could redo the motherboard panel and the PSU placement which would mean having to flip the case internals around.

If you must go forward, usually bi-metal hole saws will cut through plastic and metal though you'll need to keep a steady hand and have a couple of file's handy since you will end up with jagged edges on both the plastic and the metal.

Solution

32starview

Commendable
Mar 8, 2016
Many thanks, I think I've kinda resigned myself to keeping it as is.

The CPU being an I7-920 is getting quite long in the tooth and starting to have heat/load issues with more modern games (Star Wars, battlefront as an e.g) so even the newer GPU I added (MSI R9-270) can only go so far.

I'll leave as is, and when the time comes, will get a complete new PC with a bottom mounted PSU. (Ironically, Costco is having a sale on a XPS with a I7-6700). Thanks for the feedback.