My R9 290 thinks it's a barber

PenguinPower

Commendable
Mar 22, 2016
So my reference 290 has this atrocious low-pitched metallic coil whine. The best thing I could compare it to is sounding like one of those hair clippers you hear at the barber lol. It sounds exactly like this, except a bit louder in real life (https://youtu.be/0aqb62LP1qQ). This sound basically happens whenever the card is under load. Doesn't matter if it's in a 60fps VSync game of GTAV or struggling to get through Firestrike Ultra at 10fps. Any ghetto fixes I could try that would help lower the noise (nail polish or gum maybe)? I don't think it's worth to try playing the RMA lottery with Asus since I bought the card used and plus I have an unused HG10 sitting around for the card.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Tried overclocking? Underclocking? Sometimes its a specific range of frequency that can do it.

Last resort, get a silent case or some noise cancelling headphones :D

PenguinPower

Commendable
Mar 22, 2016
I played around with the clock speeds a bit yesterday. Moving them up and down in like 2MHz increments doesn't seem to do much. One interesting thing is that when I lowered the clock speeds to the bare minimum (about half the speed of the stock clocks), the whine was a lot less even at full load. I don't really want to RMA because my fear is that it's going to get lost in RMA limbo for a couple of weeks and then they'll return a card that isn't even compatible with the HG10.

Got a Fractal R5 so not sure what else to do there lol. Headphones are also pretty much worst case scenario as I've got open back 598's ._. With regards to the PSU, it's a pretty shitty OCZ Modxstream 600w so that might be an issue? The only other PSU I really have to test is an EVGA 430w unfortunately.

PenguinPower

Commendable
Mar 22, 2016
Ok so I tried it on a CS450M and a Seasonic 660W Platinum. Exact same problem. The really weird thing is that the coil whine is nonexistent during furmark... This issue is getting stranger and stranger.

TRENDING THREADS