2016: A few questions about PC Upgrades

WaywardSun

Honorable
Mar 22, 2016
So, it's 2016, Dark Souls III is right around the corner, and I've a hankering for some PC upgrades.

Current simple specs:
MOBO: Maximus VI Hero
CPU: i7 4770K
GPU: AMD R9 290X (w. Kraken G10 + cooler)
PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 G2
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Black (DDR3)
SSD: 120GB and 840 EVO 250GB
Windows 10

I have three questions about the build.

1 - I currently have a Corsair H60 on the CPU. If I want to overclock to 4.5, do I need to upgrade? The processor has been in my system for 2.5 years, no overclocking at all.

2 - I was considering getting a sound card. Would that be a good investment, considering my current motherboard (I have Bose speakers, too), and if so, which one should I get? Don't want to spend a lot on one if it won't do anything.

3 - I plan to upgrade the GPU to the 980TI. Which is the best current SC version of that card?

All this is going in a CM full tower, so there's plenty of real estate.

Thanks in advance!

Solution
I would go ahead and upgrade the cooling some to overclock the processor either to a H100 or to high end air like a Cryorig R1. both give about the same results.
Your video card is fine I would wait till their some benchmarks out for the game before buying a new video card. Or upgrade to a 2K monitor and video card.
If I was buying a GTX 980ti I would buy MSI. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127889
16GB of memory if you don't already have that much just because it's so cheap right now.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I would go ahead and upgrade the cooling some to overclock the processor either to a H100 or to high end air like a Cryorig R1. both give about the same results.
Your video card is fine I would wait till their some benchmarks out for the game before buying a new video card. Or upgrade to a 2K monitor and video card.
If I was buying a GTX 980ti I would buy MSI. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127889
16GB of memory if you don't already have that much just because it's so cheap right now.

Solution