R9 390 non-X CF vs GTX 970 SLI for 1440p

G

So I have been considering and contemplating my future desicion, and I am leaning towards what team red has to offer. But if there is anything major that i need to know about the 970 SLI situation/R9 390 please tell me. I think I will get a single card soon and then get another for later when I do 1440p.

Solution
You will win synthetic benchmarks with dual cards, but gameplay will be better with a good single card.
My plan would be to Buy a GTX970 class card for 1080P gaming.

When you buy a 1440P monitor see how you do and if you need a graphics upgrade.
If you do, sell your current card in favor of the stronger replacement.

Here is my canned rant on planning for dual cards:
-----------------------------Start of rant----------------------------------------------------
Dual graphics cards vs. a good single card.

a) How good do you really need to be?
A single GTX750t1 or R7-265 can give you decent performance at 1920 x 1200 in many games.
Yes, you may need to be satisfied with less than high settings.

A single GTX970 or R9-390X will give...
Most games the 390 actually beats a 970 @ 1080p. Not by a lot mind you, but better performance is better. As was mentioned, at higher resolutions the gap widens even more.

Biggest thing to consider will be proper cooling for a crossfire 390 and wattage requirements. I wouldn't use anything less than a quality 850w PSU for Radeon, but would feel comfortable with a good 750w for nVidia SLI. Also, Radeons will run hotter than their nVidia counterparts, making good case airflow important.

You will win synthetic benchmarks with dual cards, but gameplay will be better with a good single card.
My plan would be to Buy a GTX970 class card for 1080P gaming.

When you buy a 1440P monitor see how you do and if you need a graphics upgrade.
If you do, sell your current card in favor of the stronger replacement.

Here is my canned rant on planning for dual cards:
-----------------------------Start of rant----------------------------------------------------
Dual graphics cards vs. a good single card.

a) How good do you really need to be?
A single GTX750t1 or R7-265 can give you decent performance at 1920 x 1200 in many games.
Yes, you may need to be satisfied with less than high settings.

A single GTX970 or R9-390X will give you excellent performance at 1920 x 1200 in most games.
Even 2560 x 1600 will be OK with lowered detail.
A single GTX980ti is about as good as it gets for a single card.

If you are looking at triple monitor gaming, or a 4k monitor, sli/cf will be needed for excellent frame rates.
A single GTX980ti or Furyx will give good frame rates in many games.
Next year, it looks like single card performance will go up by 50%

b) The support costs for a single card are lower.
You require a less expensive motherboard; no need for sli/cf or multiple pci-e slots.
Even a ITX motherboard will do.

Your psu costs are less.
A card as good as a R9-FURY or a GTX980ti will need only a 620w psu.
When you add another card to the mix, plan on adding 200w to your psu requirements.
75w for the slot, 75w for an extra 6 pin connector or possibly more.
Here is a chart:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

Case cooling becomes more of an issue with dual cards.
That means a larger and possibly expensive case with more and stronger fans.
You will also look at more noise.

c) Dual gpu's do not always render their half of the display in sync, causing microstuttering or screen tearing. It is an annoying effect.
The benefit of higher benchmark fps can be offset, particularly with lower tier cards.
Read this: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-stutter-crossfire,2995.html

d) dual gpu support is dependent on the driver. Not all games can benefit from dual cards.

e) dual cards up front reduces your option to get another card for an upgrade. Not that I suggest you plan for that.
It will often be the case that replacing your current card with a newer gen card will offer a better upgrade path.
-------------------------------End of rant-----------------------------------------------------------

Solution

i believe u no worries.
yeaaaaah no reason to upgrade since u can still play on ultra for the next year with a gtx 970(gimmicks off).