I3-6100 vs I5-4460 for streaming

Nuggie

Reputable
Feb 10, 2016
I3-6100 vs I5-4460 for streaming with a gtx 750ti SSC.
Games i would be streaming
Minecraft
CSGO

Help is appreciated

Solution
The i3 is newer, high clock rate which works better for lowly threaded apps.
If you are streaming though, you will want more performance for threaded apps, as you game will use one or 2 typically, and the streaming app will use the others(hopfully).
The i3 is a hyperthreaded dual core, so it will run 4 threads, but the performance on 2 of them is less.
The i5 is 4 real cores, quad core, but not hyperthreaded so also 4 threads, but all 4 are legit full performance.
But the i5 is an older platform which is good/bad. Good for prices on current parts, bad for prices in the future as older parts get more expensive as they leave production and stock runs out.
The i5 has higher general performance in the end I think for your use case.

DeadlyDays

Honorable
Mar 29, 2013
The i3 is newer, high clock rate which works better for lowly threaded apps.
If you are streaming though, you will want more performance for threaded apps, as you game will use one or 2 typically, and the streaming app will use the others(hopfully).
The i3 is a hyperthreaded dual core, so it will run 4 threads, but the performance on 2 of them is less.
The i5 is 4 real cores, quad core, but not hyperthreaded so also 4 threads, but all 4 are legit full performance.
But the i5 is an older platform which is good/bad. Good for prices on current parts, bad for prices in the future as older parts get more expensive as they leave production and stock runs out.
The i5 has higher general performance in the end I think for your use case.

Solution
Streaming will fully load all available logical CPU cores in order to maintain the fastest streaming speed, meaning that all cores will be near 100% load. This is when hyper threading will take up to a 20% performance penalty. So in this instance, if you are a dedicated streamer, you will want the i5 over the i3. A Xeon or i7 would be even better.

For just gaming, an i3-6100 is generally good enough because all logical cores will never fully load and take such a performance loss when hyper threading.

Why are you considering an older Haswell i5 when there are Skylake i5s like the i5-6400 that are relatively cheap?

Nuggie

Reputable
Feb 10, 2016

BEcause i have an amd cpu at the minute so i have a set amount for a cpu and new mobo but with the i3 i also have to buy 8gb of ddr4

I would keep what you have.

I'm running my i3-6100 with DDR3, btw :)