FX-8350 low fps in the division

Kiodey

Reputable
Jul 3, 2015
so i have 2 970's and an AMD fx-8350 on an asrock 990fx extreme 3. i have everything on medium settings and frame rate locked to 60 i know i get about 120 without framer lock. my temps are around 50c for botch gpu and cpu. the problem im getting is when something loads like enemies my cpu usage goes to 98 i get horrible frame drops to 3-15 fps and if i stay in cover for about 10 sec it fixes it self and other times there are random drops also down to 3-15 frames for 10 sec. my gpu driver is is 362.00 cause the latest drivers cause me problems, so i know its not them. at first i thought thermal throttling but idk also maybe VRM's are over heating idk. so if you could please help thanks.

Solution
Price to performance, it's still a better performer than Intel's offerings.

No. It's not. I don't know why people keep saying this. It is not true. The FX8350 gets outperformed by a $112 i3 6100 most of the time. The cheapest i5 4460 + $40 motherboard would outperform it in nearly every task and especially in gaming no matter how much the 8350 is overclocked.

The FX8350 is still a decent cpu for gaming, but it would even bottleneck a single GTX970 a little bit. It will bottleneck two 970s a lot. I think it's a bad investment to buy a new $170 AM3+ motherboard for such an old cpu.

Kiodey

Reputable
Jul 3, 2015

the board im going to upgrade to is 990FX extreme 9 cause i was going to do O/C.

That's not necessarily true; further, he'd have to buy both a new mobo, a CPU, and possibly other hardware. Maybe all that is not in his budget. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the 8350. Price to performance, it's still a better performer than Intel's offerings.

If anything, he should look to a better mobo and possibly a better cooler.

Kiodey

Reputable
Jul 3, 2015

my cooler is a corsair h100i gtx

CTurbo

Pizza Monster
Price to performance, it's still a better performer than Intel's offerings.

No. It's not. I don't know why people keep saying this. It is not true. The FX8350 gets outperformed by a $112 i3 6100 most of the time. The cheapest i5 4460 + $40 motherboard would outperform it in nearly every task and especially in gaming no matter how much the 8350 is overclocked.

The FX8350 is still a decent cpu for gaming, but it would even bottleneck a single GTX970 a little bit. It will bottleneck two 970s a lot. I think it's a bad investment to buy a new $170 AM3+ motherboard for such an old cpu.

Solution
Yea the 8350 is going to be your problem. Try overclocking it and see if it helps. The per core performance on the 8350 is pretty crappy for gaming. As stated you could try to sell it and get an intel mobo and cpu and be on your marry way. A haswell i5 and even a basic motherboard would do you good. Plus selling what you currently have should soak up some of the cost to upgrade. My wife plays division with me on her pc every night and she is running an i5-2500k stock with a hyper 212 evo cooler and a single 970sc and she runs it perfectly. Cpu runs at about 60% usage the entire time. Run the benchmark in the settings and it will tell you where you're weak link is.