980 Ti overclock - How far can I push on 65.5% ASIC ?

*** specs ***
EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti SC GAMING (reference cooler)
EVGA part #: 06G-P4-4992-KR

1102MHz Base Clock
1190MHz Boost Clock

ASIC quality: 65.5%

*** background ***
For the first time I attempted to push beyond the factory overclock. I simply raised the base and memory overclocks by +200 MHz. As soon as I did this and continued with my computer folding, the Nvidia driver crashed and recovered with the event below.

Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.
Event ID: 4101

I continued to allow my computer to fold and there hasn't been any additional crashes of the Nvidia driver. Does the fact that the driver crashed one time in direct result to my raising the overclock mean that it's unstable? I haven't attempted to play any games since making this change.

*** question ***
Ultimately I'm seeking advice on how to push the overclock and have a stable system, but I included the above information in the spirit of full disclosure.

Solution
That is just GPU Boost working its usual wonders. Your base clock is not as important as your boost clock is, which is what you will see reported by Precision X when your GPUs are under a certain load. 1406 is where your maximum boost clock is with your OC.

Just a few pointers, I would start with focusing on your core clock first and finding a stable OC before you move onto memory. This way your not limiting you OC ability by doing them both as they each will effect the stability overall. Once you find a stable core then you can move onto memory. Keep an eye on your temperatures as the GPUs will slightly throttle as it increases in temps. I would only bump my core clocks in increments of +20-25Mhz each time until you find that sweet...

Arronleeds

Reputable
Nov 14, 2014
erm you did +200 on the core straight away.. brah you crazy, if its already 1253 youre pushing it over 1550mhz...

i get about 1554mhz on my 970 and thats the limit and thats at 74% asic.

go up in chunks of about 50mhz.

i reckon you could get around 1500mhz

memory wise i can do +500 and be fine, but memory overclocking doesnt do much.

and yes if it crashes once, its likely to do it again, especially on games.

@Arronleeds The Core and Memory clock speeds of 1253 and 1652 Mhz are after the +200 Mhz overclock, not before. Sorry that I wasn't clear.

@BadActor Understood. Besides obvious errors such as the Nvidia driver crashing and being recorded in event viewer, what method could I use to create a stable overclock with the intention of folding?

Okay. I've pushed core and memory clock to +150 MHz.

I notice the Precision X reported GPU clock at 1406 Mhz but then it dropped to 1392 and then 1372. Is that normal, or does that indicate thermal throttling or instability? GPU temp target is default 83 C.

Gamer1985

Reputable
Dec 19, 2015
That is just GPU Boost working its usual wonders. Your base clock is not as important as your boost clock is, which is what you will see reported by Precision X when your GPUs are under a certain load. 1406 is where your maximum boost clock is with your OC.

Just a few pointers, I would start with focusing on your core clock first and finding a stable OC before you move onto memory. This way your not limiting you OC ability by doing them both as they each will effect the stability overall. Once you find a stable core then you can move onto memory. Keep an eye on your temperatures as the GPUs will slightly throttle as it increases in temps. I would only bump my core clocks in increments of +20-25Mhz each time until you find that sweet spot. Memory you can do +50Mhz increments after and determine the max you can reach.

My kingpins originally boosted to 1443Mhz core/7092Mhz memory, with my OC i am running 1500Mhz/8000Memory.

Solution