Why does the 980 Ti FTW have one with 8-pin by 6-pin and another with 8-pin by 8-pin???

Clay54412

Distinguished
May 2, 2013
I noticed on Amazon.com that in the picture of the card it shows 8-pin by 6-pin and on newegg and other websites, it shows that it has 8-pin by 8-pin power connectors?!?!? Makes no sense, can someone help me? I'm about to buy one and I need to make sure it's compatible with my pc...! Thanks.

Solution

Clay54412

Distinguished
May 2, 2013
At this link it shows this pic at Amazon...http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Installed-Backplate-Graphics-06G-P4-4996-KR/dp/B014PXHC6M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1458982661&sr=8-1&keywords=gtx+980+ti+FTW And there it only has the 6-pin by 8-pin...Why?

And if that card is 2x 8 pin, will it work on a Sabertooth X58 motherboard??? Also, my power supply is a Antec 650w EA-650 green..Will it work there??? Thanks.

Cause if you look real close at the card in that pic you will see that it is not the FTW ACX2.0+ go by what EVGA says about their hardware.. EVGA has a bunch of similar cards the look almost the same and also use the ACX 2.0+ cooler but use the 6+8pin for power.

Clay54412

Distinguished
May 2, 2013
I see, well if the card is actually 8-pin by 8-pin, would it work on my Antec 650w EA-650 green power supply and my Sabertooth X58 motherboard?? I really need to know..And if it does work on there, should I buy it from Amazon?? Or does that picture make it an untrusted buying source???!? Thanks.

Clay54412

Distinguished
May 2, 2013
I have the I7 950 @ 3.07 GHZ...I currently own a 780 Ti SC with ACX and I haven't noticed any slow downs...I've watched many benchmark videos with a 780 Ti and they pretty much matched the performance I was getting...

So you might be able to overclock that cpu some if you have decent cooling many people have got to 4Ghz or more. This would help in games that are heavy on single threaded performance as well as multi threaded performance.

Clay54412

Distinguished
May 2, 2013

I'm actually very scared of overclocking stuff because one time I tried overclocking my 780 Ti and it got completely ruined because I went too far and had to get it replaced...I just couldn't figure out how to find that balance/stopping point... And I had some issues with my cpu overheating recently and had to add thermal paste to bring its temp to normal... And I'm worried if I overclock my CPU, it might overheat again??? If it would possibly bring the temp up, i'd rather not risk it...I'm not much of an overclocking guy..It being one of the reasons I chose an already overclocked video card..Or am I missing something here?

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

you cant simply drop in a better gpu and expect it to run better when the other parts cant keep up

you are pretty much already at max gpu your system can handle with that 780 ti

getting cpu bottlenecked in some games in fact

Yes overclocking would raise your cpu temps. You must have overvolted that 780Ti pretty hard or something.. But anyways yes the 980Ti might be a bit overkill for a i7-950 in games that are single thread performance sensitive, in games that use 3+ threads it should run fairly well. Yes a new Skylake i5 or i7 would be a better match. What resolution you run at also makes a difference as higher resolutions tend to be more GPU bound than CPU bound.

Solution