Solved

Should i upgrade from my i5-2500k to a i5-6600k or wait for the next generation CPU's?

As stated in the title, i am looking to upgrade my current i5 2500k with a GTX 750Ti. I have decided to upgrade the GPU to a 970 but not sure what to do with the processor?? I use it mainly for gaming and general use for word and web-searching!
19 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about upgrade 2500k 6600k wait generation cpu
  1. Is the performance too low for your use? You can overclock those and still keep up pretty well for most things.

    For web sure I mostly use my i5 750(since it is already on). It is getting old and starting to show its age too, but still gets the job done.

    As for the video card. With Nvidia and AMD set to release a new batch of cards soon, It may be worth waiting.
  2. The time to upgrade is when you feel you don't have what you want. Some are still happy with the 2500k. If you feel like it's time and you can afford it, it's as good time as any to upgrade.

    Assuming you aren't happy with what you have, I'd try to get an i7, since more and more games are using more cores (Witcher 3 and GTAV benefit a decent amount).

    If you haven't bought the GPU, maybe wait for the next gen, AMD and Nvidia will be releasing about at the same time, and you could even save a bit more and get a better card. If you only want to play at FullHD though, the 970/390 will be more than enough.
  3. I just upgraded from a 2600K and I mostly did it for the Z170 motherboard features. I moved my 980 Ti over and my FPS went up by 4 or 5 but nothing major. Minimum FPS went up noticeably in some games.
  4. 750 Ti? If you bother upgrading that, then you may want to upgrade your processor.

    Otherwise, you're fine, you shouldn't see a frame jump.
  5. xXCrossfireXx said:
    750 Ti? If you bother upgrading that, then you'll need to upgrade your processor.

    Otherwise, you're fine, you shouldn't see a frame jump.


    What? Don't post crap please. If you bothered to read all the posts in this thread you would notice me only getting a 4 or 5FPS boost going from Sandy Bridge to Skylake with a 980 Ti. And I was using a P67 motherboard with PCI-E 2.0. Moving the 980 Ti to a PCI-E 3.0 slot is responsible for 2 or 3 of those FPS.
  6. anort3 said:
    xXCrossfireXx said:
    750 Ti? If you bother upgrading that, then you'll need to upgrade your processor.

    Otherwise, you're fine, you shouldn't see a frame jump.


    What? Don't post crap please. If you bothered to read all the posts in this thread you would notice me only getting a 4 or 5FPS boost going from Sandy Bridge to Skylake with a 980 Ti. And I was using a P67 motherboard with PCI-E 2.0. Moving the 980 Ti to a PCI-E 3.0 slot is responsible for 2 or 3 of those FPS.


    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZ_5p9wd2dk

    DigitalFoundry, a well liked YouTuber with 2,528 likes on the video he posted showed the 6600k getting 10-20 FPS more in games. This is with a Titan X. Now you may say "well the Titan X is more powerful." So if you're gonna be one of those guys, here's a benchmark showing the 980 Ti:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFA4xxLzpdY

    Skip to the video game benchmarks. Look at that. The lowest frame gain was 11, highest 17. These are actual benchmarks, why should I trust someone who told me to "stop my crap" instead of telling me I'm wrong (which I proved I wasn't), rather than legitimate benchmarks? So please, stop your crap, and stop your mouth. You're a moderator. Don't turn your moderator reputation into a troll reputation.
  7. It really all depends on what games you play, the 2500K is still very viable for gaming (and if not already, give thought to OCing it, I ran mine at 4.8), if leaning towards games that are CPU centric and don't want to OC the 2500K, then the move to the 6600K is a very good choice. Going from a 750Ti to a 970 can be a very big jump and is well worth it
  8. I remember you too. My Photon is better than any other unit out there because I bought it and it works. :sarcastic: You do realize that I all did was point out ( with multiple examples I might add ) that there are better units for the same or less money?

    And telling someone they need to upgrade from Sandy Bridge to get a better GPU than a 750 Ti confirms my assumption of your computer knowledge.

    I'm not going to watch some random youtube videos. I explicitly tested with Fallout 4, The Witcher 3 and Rise of the Tomb Raider before and after this upgrade and as I stated I have a 5 FPS difference or less. 1440p all image quality settings at maximum in all 3 games.

    Believe it or don't, I don't care. Like me or don't, I don't care. But if you are going to post here you are going to be civil or you won't be here long.
  9. crossfire,

    your earlier post has been edited. keep it civil. you've been warned before by the team. i do not care if you do not like anort or any of the mod team, we are not here to be the enemy but will enforce the forum rules.


    also, i agree for you to stop posting nonsense. i trust the scores of actual tests and firsthand reports over some single youtuber. its quite possible to notice a very large jump when upgrading from a gpu like the 750ti to something newer on an i5-2500k as most games are not cpu bound but gpu bound. now of course there are certain scenarios where cpu bottlenecking comes into place where a better cpu certainly will perform better but this is not always the case.

    disagree? attack the information not the person. use good solid benchmark results not videos. be civil about it.


    op,

    i'm still on my old i7-920 with a gtx770 and its still running strong for the little gaming and mostly browsing and media watching i do. i can still run most games i play at great settings without bogging down so i'm happy. with the 2500k you should be more than fine with a 970 and you can always overclock a bit if you felt the need. that would be my suggestion.

    if you absolutely felt you had to upgrade you could of course move to haswell or skylake but it may not be worth the price for you.
  10. the i5 2500k is very viable for gaming especially if you OC with a nice cooler.
    I'd get a gtx 970 as you said oyu were going to get.
    Than wait for skylake prices to drop then maybe you could gte a skylake CPU
  11. ssddx said:
    crossfire,

    your earlier post has been edited. keep it civil. you've been warned before by the team. i do not care if you do not like anort or any of the mod team, we are not here to be the enemy but will enforce the forum rules.


    also, i agree for you to stop posting nonsense. i trust the scores of actual tests and firsthand reports over some single youtuber. its quite possible to notice a very large jump when upgrading from a gpu like the 750ti to something newer on an i5-2500k as most games are not cpu bound but gpu bound. now of course there are certain scenarios where cpu bottlenecking comes into place where a better cpu certainly will perform better but this is not always the case.



    I didn't say bottleneck, I said that the 6600k will show improvements over the 2500k on higher end cards, it's just the truth. And a mod shouldn't be talking like anort was talking to me, he's not supreme just because he's a moderator.
  12. as i said, it highly depends on the game. if the cpu is not the bottleneck the difference will be very small. in some games which are more cpu hungry yes you may certainly notice differences. its not a blanket statement you can make, it really depends on usage patterns, the game, the resolution and what background tasks you are using.

    perhaps his choice of words was not candy coated, but he did have a point. he also attacked your content and not your person (while you responded with an attack on character). while i agree he could have certainly stated it in a nicer manner, that doesnt make his statement any less true.

    regardless, this is not the place to discuss any problems you have with anort or the mod team. keep on topic.
  13. ssddx said:
    as i said, it highly depends on the game. if the cpu is not the bottleneck the difference will be very small. in some games which are more cpu hungry yes you may certainly notice differences. its not a blanket statement you can make, it really depends on usage patterns, the game, the resolution and what background tasks you are using.


    My bad, it was a bit abstract. I was referring to modern games mostly, which most are pretty CPU intensive.
  14. Hello,

    Like majority of consumers, you're doing this in the wrong order. You don't want to upgrade before knowing why you want to upgrade. The i5 2500k is a very strong processor, even today, despite being so old. Buy the new GPU, install it, then figure out what to do next. You're overthinking this, which is normal, but completely unnecessary.


    All the best!
  15. xXCrossfireXx said:


    I didn't say bottleneck, I said that the 6600k will show improvements over the 4690k on higher end cards, it's just the truth.


    Not true, actually.
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/9483/intel-skylake-review-6700k-6600k-ddr4-ddr3-ipc-6th-generation/22
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/9483/intel-skylake-review-6700k-6600k-ddr4-ddr3-ipc-6th-generation/23

    Quote:
    In our discrete gaming benchmarks, at 3GHz Skylake actually performs worse than Haswell at an equivalent clockspeed, giving up an average of 1.3% performance.
  16. logainofhades said:
    xXCrossfireXx said:


    I didn't say bottleneck, I said that the 6600k will show improvements over the 4690k on higher end cards, it's just the truth.


    Not true, actually.
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/9483/intel-skylake-review-6700k-6600k-ddr4-ddr3-ipc-6th-generation/22
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/9483/intel-skylake-review-6700k-6600k-ddr4-ddr3-ipc-6th-generation/23

    Quote:
    In our discrete gaming benchmarks, at 3GHz Skylake actually performs worse than Haswell at an equivalent clockspeed, giving up an average of 1.3% performance.


    Whoops, sorry I meant to say the 2500k, let me correct that
  17. Best answer
    Skylake is better, but not vastly so, even vs Sandy, at like clock speeds.

    http://www.anandtech.com/show/9483/intel-skylake-review-6700k-6600k-ddr4-ddr3-ipc-6th-generation/10

    Bottom line, anyone with a 2nd-4th i5, with a lower end GPU, would be better off spending money on a much better GPU, for better gaming performance. A 2500k, with a GTX 980ti, would own an i5 6600k, with a slower card. 2500k can still handle any high end card out there, especially if you decide to clock it a bit. It all depends on budget.
  18. logainofhades said:
    Skylake is better, but not vastly so, even vs Sandy, at like clock speeds.

    http://www.anandtech.com/show/9483/intel-skylake-review-6700k-6600k-ddr4-ddr3-ipc-6th-generation/10

    Bottom line, anyone with a 2nd-4th i5, with a lower end GPU, would be better off spending money on a much better GPU, for better gaming performance. A 2500k, with a GTX 980ti, would own an i5 6600k, with a slower card. 2500k can still handle any high end card out there, especially if you decide to clock it a bit. It all depends on budget.



    Agreed. If you get low fps in your favorite games, check if they are cpu intensive or gpu intensive. For gaming, first get better GPU. And at most game, you wont notice that much of a difference if you upgrade from your 2500K. Seriously, who can tell difference between 45 FPS and 41 FPS? But you will get better performance in cpu intensive games like cities skyline.
    I would not upgrade the 2500K if that meant i have to settle for a lower end card for the budget.
  19. What you might find if you go to the 6600k, is that your low-fps or fps dips might not go so low and have less stuttering, but average fps might not change significantly. It will also depend on desired detail settings, if you dont mind sacrificing detail for fps, and like really high fps, the 6600k would be of benefit. But the 2500k is still considered by most, especially when OC'd, a very capable cpu. If it were my PC, id just get the 970 for now, that will give the most significant gain, the cpu wont gain you that much.
Ask a new question

Read More

Gaming Next Generation Intel Intel i5 CPUs Processors