760 gtx 4gb vs. 760 4gb SLI vs. 970 gtx - The Division Gameplay

mschlafer

Honorable
Sep 24, 2013
Hello! I apologize... I am new to Tom' Hardware...but I am looking for suggestions on some GPU's. I currently have the Gigabyte 760 GTX 4gb alongside the Intel i5 4670k (slightly OC'd to around 4.0 ghz) and 8gb of RAM. I am currently infatuated with The Division and I want to get more out of the game in the graphics department. I am playing it at 1080P and that is all I want it to be played at. My question is this...

Would my money be best spent on a second 760 GTX 4gb for SLI or the 970 GTX (any of these models I assume would perform better than the 760 GTX). I am currently Sitting around 25-45 FPS at the mid-high settings. I would like to be on Ultra and sitting around 50-60 FPS (I am guessing everyone would like that in any game). haha

Also, any insight if my CPU would be bottle necking the 760 GTX. When I bought the components around 3 years ago it was a rather new system (Haswell) and not much research was out on which would out perform or last the other (CPU or GPU). Also, if I got the 970 GTX, would my CPU bottle neck that card?

Are there any other GPUs that people would suggest as opposed to the 970 GTX that is around the same price point, if not less? I have always used Nvidia products and haven't "dabbled" into the world of AMD.

I hope that makes sense. Lots of questions... I know. :ouch: Thanks in advance for any help or advice!

Solution
Your CPU isn't bottlenecking the 760. It will not bottleneck in SLI and will not bottleneck the 970.

Funny enough I have the i5-4670k (@4.3) and (one) GTX 760. I'm in a similar boat but am waiting for Pascal. There should be more info on Pascal between April 4-7th as Nvidia is presenting at some conference and people anticipate more info on their new line of GPUs.

Back to your question. I wouldn't put the 760 in SLI. I'd sell the 760 on ebay and buy a 970. You'll pay the difference of ~$200 instead of ~$130 (purchasing a used 760 for SLI). By going the 970 route your GPU will use 145 watts instead of 340 watts (760 in SLI) and you won't have to mess with all the issues some games have with SLI.

As for the AMD alternative, Tom's...
Your CPU isn't bottlenecking the 760. It will not bottleneck in SLI and will not bottleneck the 970.

Funny enough I have the i5-4670k (@4.3) and (one) GTX 760. I'm in a similar boat but am waiting for Pascal. There should be more info on Pascal between April 4-7th as Nvidia is presenting at some conference and people anticipate more info on their new line of GPUs.

Back to your question. I wouldn't put the 760 in SLI. I'd sell the 760 on ebay and buy a 970. You'll pay the difference of ~$200 instead of ~$130 (purchasing a used 760 for SLI). By going the 970 route your GPU will use 145 watts instead of 340 watts (760 in SLI) and you won't have to mess with all the issues some games have with SLI.

As for the AMD alternative, Tom's Hardware just published best graphics cards for the money as of March 2016. For an extra $15 bucks you can get the R9 390. The article can speak about this card better than I can as I'm unfamiliar with the performance. Here is a link to the article. Keep in mind the R9 390 max wattage is 275.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gpus,4380.html

Update: gtx 970 vs R9 390 - http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1594?vs=1595 I'd go with the 970 personally.

Solution