Is from 960 to a 970 considered a good upgrade?

daynwsowulf

Reputable
Feb 25, 2015
Hello tom's hardware experts, thanks for visiting my post.

I just wanted to know, as the title says: Is it viable to upgrade to a 970 from a 960?

The 970 is a beast of a card no doubt of course she isn't that monster, but does the job very well on most games nowadays, and the 960 isn't so bad at all, but on recent AAA games I'm having a hard time with her (960), 30FPS on Assassin's Creed Syndicate, GTA V at 30FPS, FPS drops on Rise of the Tomb Raider and I'm looking for complete 60FPS experience, at 1080p.
I already have the money, I can just click that buy button that is itching my finger. Just wanted to know from you guys first if it's a good idea. I'm not the kind to be patient to wait, but AMD Polaris sounds like a good deal.
I'm fairly new to PC gaming, money shouldn't be a problem, but of course, I have bills and stuff to pay, so spend a lot of money on a single computer component is kinda too much. So if you can recommend a card that is around the same price as the 970, with similar or better performance, let me know! Also I don't know anything about AMD cards and their GPU hierarchy.

Just to let you guys know, I already bought the i7 4790k just yesterday, should arrive home by tomorrow.

What do you think?

My Specs if needded:
CPU: AMD A10 7850k (i7 + Motherboard coming soon!)
RAM: 16GB of RAM
Disk: 240GB SSD + 1TB HDD
PSU: Corsair CX600 80+ Bronze or something

Solution
I personally would have recommended something from the skylake line, but if you dont feel like doing returns.

On to the main question though, yes the 970 is considered an upgrade from a 960 (I say ~30% is the border between worthwhile, the 970 comes in at 58% faster). That being said, wait for at least pascal if not polaris.
Also worth noting, you should really invest in a new PSU.
I personally would have recommended something from the skylake line, but if you dont feel like doing returns.

On to the main question though, yes the 970 is considered an upgrade from a 960 (I say ~30% is the border between worthwhile, the 970 comes in at 58% faster). That being said, wait for at least pascal if not polaris.
Also worth noting, you should really invest in a new PSU.

Solution

daynwsowulf

Reputable
Feb 25, 2015

You think so? The PSU is not going to handle the new hardware?

Evoke186

Reputable
Nov 11, 2015
i also have a 960 and was debating whether or not to upgrade to a 970. it's definitely a good upgrade, BUT since pascal/polaris is coming out in a couple months i decided to just wait for that and get an even better upgrade for the same price.

The 960 is one of those rare instanmnces where I'd say the 970 is a better choice than two 960s in SLI. Of course w/o knowing your resolution GFX card recommendations must rely an assumptions

perfrel_1920.gif

There is no other card 'around the price of a 970) that performs near as well... at least not when both cards are overclocked. And with your choice of a k series CPU, I assume overclocking is part of your modus operandi. Over clocked the 970 (17% OC) typical) is faster than both the 390 (8%) and 390x (7%) at resolutions up to 1440p across TPU's 19 game test suite,

As far as Polaris, I wouldn't hold ya breadth. With the current financial situation there at AMD, I'm not seeing any real breakthrus on the horizon tho. Both cards were expected to drop 2nd quarter but with HBM2 stalled I'm starting to have my doubts that we'll see anything more than a "paper release".