970 Pro3 R2.0 will NOT retain clock/date settings?

Girl_Downunder

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2012
I really have no idea what's happening here...Helping someone to "fix" what appears to be unfixable.

In addition to this, the Win 10 upgrade has also gone nuts & IT sends the date "into the future" (last time, year 2055). I checked Windows time is on auto in system. I changed out the old 2032 battery for new...I reset CMOS. I started PC in safe mode. I updated drivers, swapped to a brand new video card (both nvidia), tried fast-boot on & off (BIOS & Win 10 power settings). I think I've now done every combo of the above.

Now, it every-other-boot hangs either at a black screen w/arrow, or on the circle of dots as 10 loads...

I have reset the clocks/dates, had it persist for 1-2 restarts then be back as before after a couple more restarts or a shut down.

I tried a repair & it said it couldn't fix it...I'm about to try a reset without much faith. I'm posting here in the off-chance there have been others who might have found a reasonable fix for this.

Could it be a flaky motherboard at fault??

Anyone know if the BIOS flash current addresses anything such as this?

Cheers

Solution
I ended up unplugging the HDD & flashing the BIOS using the motherboard's "instant flash" via LAN download. That fixed the BIOS clock & within Windows, found the time service was disabled. Enabled that & all came good.

Kiril_Petkov

Commendable
Feb 15, 2016
So if i understand you correct you cant set the clock and date on your PC. You are thinking the issue is in MB.
1. What time did the BIOS show there is clock too?
2. Did you try to install other OS then Win 10? (Win7 or Linux)
3. Disconnect from Internet when you set the time and leave it for few/sever hours the see if the time will change.

Girl_Downunder

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2012

Neither clock will remain set. The BIOS now has a new CMOS battery & it still loses the date/time. Windows is an upgrade to 10, however, that has nothing to do with the motherboard's time/date. The odd thing is the Windows date moving to waaaay ahead (2055-2088)! The BIOS seems to like 2013? I've tried with & w/o internet online- just to see if it made a difference. So far- no. I'm now trying the reset of 10, but as I said, even a really borked OS doesn't affect the BIOS settings.

Girl_Downunder

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2012
OK, reset did nothing but remove a ton of pain-in-the-arse to install programs...great. WTF did MS do this for? Why did they go to "refresh" over "restore"?

If I remove the ethernet cable, shut down, & turn off the power-- the next boot I have 2013 in BIOS & 2025 or greater in Windows. If I replug the ethernet into the PC while it's booted, Windows resets to current & correct time.

It still doesn't explain what's wrong? Windows refuses to repair itself & I have zero idea what's up with the motherboard.

Ideas?

Kiril_Petkov

Commendable
Feb 15, 2016
Windows OS have no way to set the hardware clock, Linux have easy what in command line. My advice is to boot in save mode to check if the issue occurs there too. If not you should find the program that doing this or reinstall the OS(stay away from Win10 for now if you ask me still MS need to fix too many bugs).

Girl_Downunder

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2012

I realize Windows can't affect the BIOS settings... I was hoping someone here has had anything similar & was it fixed via a BIOS flash?

I unplugged the HDD & the BIOS clock is still not right- so it's got to be the board (assuming not CPU/GPU/RAM- no beeps, no blue screen).

I'm a bit hesitant only because the ASRock info says to flash from within 10 & I'm not too sure about doing that when 10 is so flaky, as well...

Girl_Downunder

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2012
I ended up unplugging the HDD & flashing the BIOS using the motherboard's "instant flash" via LAN download. That fixed the BIOS clock & within Windows, found the time service was disabled. Enabled that & all came good.

Solution