can a i3 -4330 accept ram over 1600 mhz and overclock the ram higher ? on a z97 MB

G

I have just bought a 2nd user i3 - 4330 , but I need some ram , I have seen that the cpu runs with 1333 and 1600 ram .

I was going to buy HyperX FURY Series 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR3 1866 until I read the specs for a i3 4330 .

But based on the z97 motherboard GA-Z97P-D3 by Gigabyte , will the the 1866 still work with the CPU ? will it clock the speed down to 1600 automatically ? or will I be able to run the ram at 1866 mhz with the CPU and hopefully overclock the ram further and tighten up the timings on the ram ?

I know the CPU cannot be overclocked , so just happy to overclock the ram if that is possible.

I assume worse case , the ram will be down clocked to 1600.

Advice please. TYI

Solution
The ram speed you can use is determined by the motherboard.
Your motherboard can support ram up to 3000 speed.
DDR3 ram faster than 1333 is done via applying higher than normal voltage to better quality ram chips.
1866 is just fine, and is probably as good as you need to be.
It turns out that haswell processors do not depend on fast ram speeds for performance.
Higher speed is accompanied by higher latency, reducing the advantage.
More ram trumps faster ram. At least if using a discrete graphics card.
Here is a report on ram scaling:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7364/memory-scaling-on-haswell
The ram speed you can use is determined by the motherboard.
Your motherboard can support ram up to 3000 speed.
DDR3 ram faster than 1333 is done via applying higher than normal voltage to better quality ram chips.
1866 is just fine, and is probably as good as you need to be.
It turns out that haswell processors do not depend on fast ram speeds for performance.
Higher speed is accompanied by higher latency, reducing the advantage.
More ram trumps faster ram. At least if using a discrete graphics card.
Here is a report on ram scaling:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7364/memory-scaling-on-haswell

Solution
G

Brilliant TY for your replies , I thought I would be stuck at 1600 mhz , I presume , tightening up the timing , higher mhz will speed up things in general though , I have a 8350 oc system with oc ram at present , the i3 is for my 2nd system , but I still like to achieve a good OC where ever possible

G

Fantastic article , I have just skimmed through it , I shall read it in more detail , looks like you 1866 is just fine , I shall attempt to OC it a bit further and tighten up timings .. TY

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Sorry, but while the mobo does play into the equation, the thought that the mobo is the primary determining factor went by the wayside with the demise of the 775 mobos where the MC (memory controller)was part of the mobos NB chipset. With rigs ever since then (the MC moved to the CPU) it's the CPU that has become the primary factor. While your mobo may support 3000 sticks, to run 3000 on an 1150 mobo will need a K model CPU and more likely than not with a decent OC on the CPU - if of course you want to spend money on 3000 and RUN at 3000. I also covered this in my FAQs and Fiction piece, Fiction, Item 4:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2741495/ddr3-faqs-fiction.html