another 980 in SLi or 980Ti + 1 more perhaps later

Kkkk1

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
Guys,
I'm struggling. My 980 4Gb is great but with titles like Doom4 coming up and Quantum Break it needs more horsepower. Do I add another 980 in SLi or do I sell my current 980 and go for the 980Ti for much less performance but with 6Gb of memory? I currently play 1440P, but with VR around the corner will 2x980 with 4Gb be enough?
I run an Intel Core i7 4770K @ 4.4Ghz + 16Gb Ram and multiple SSD's with 1000W Corsair PSU

Solution
Actually Pascal will likely have some releases in the next couple months. We will hear some more specifics about the cards sometime hopefully next week, while alot of speculation is saying the first cards to drop may/june sometime possibly. Keep going with the 980 for a little while until we get some concrete info and then you can decide which direction you want to take.

davidarad02

Admirable
neither.

pascal is just around the corner, I recommend that you wait until it comes out, and just then buy a new GTX 1080 (or whatever it's called). it'll get you better performance, with the option of upgrading to SLI, without paying the TI premium twice.

you might also want to consider selling your 980 before pascal comes out, because it's value will go down, as it's "last gen". that will require you to keep up with the news and knowing when it's really going to come out.

Kkkk1

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006

Yeah thought so. I think that Pascal is roughly 12months away though. so do I still make do with my 980 in the mean time?

Gamer1985

Reputable
Dec 19, 2015
Actually Pascal will likely have some releases in the next couple months. We will hear some more specifics about the cards sometime hopefully next week, while alot of speculation is saying the first cards to drop may/june sometime possibly. Keep going with the 980 for a little while until we get some concrete info and then you can decide which direction you want to take.

Solution