i5 6500 vs amd 8320 fx

rderubeis

Honorable
Mar 15, 2015
My fiance needed a new pc so i gave her my 8320, and i just bought myself a i5 6500, but with my amd 8320 when i had wow open in the backround, and then i played csgo everything was fine.

With my i5 6500 when i have wow open in the backround, and then i play csgo i feel like i have stutters. My fps is still really high, but i feel like the game is stuttering if that makes sense. The i5 6500 has 4 less cores, but its suppose to be better at single and mutithreaded performance.

Is my cpu bad.

This happened at stock speeds. then when i overclocked my i5 6500 to 4.3 i thought it would help but still the same

Solution
We're not worried about input lag, we are trying to troubleshoot the stuttering issue. I mentioned vysnc if the cpu was being more strained from pumping out 400fps then limiting that could help. Vsync can cause stuttering, it can also help stuttering depending on the situation. So try with it off and on and see if it changes any. Force it on with triple buffering in nvidia control panel instead of in game. With it off, make sure it's off in there as well as in game.

joex444

Distinguished
An i5-6500 cannot be overclocked, perhaps you mean the i5-6500K?

Anyways, yes, the i5-6500(K) has more powerful cores. The FX-8320 has 4 modules, but 8 threads so it appears as an 8-core CPU to the OS -- in the same way the i7-6600K appears as an 8 core CPU (though this is 4 cores with hyperthreading).

I'm assuming you've tried CS:GO without WoW open in the background and it's fine, just stutters with both? If so, that's a threading issue, you'd be fine with the i7-6600K. Apparently that load is too much for a 4 thread CPU. Anyway you can return the 6500 and replace it? You could also try setting WoW to use just one core and letting CS:GO use the other 3. In Task Manager, select WoW and right click then select Affinity. Select, eg, Core 0 only. Then launch CS:GO do the same for that but select Core 1,2,3.

rderubeis

Honorable
Mar 15, 2015

the only difference is the ram and motherboard. Im using the same videocard, psu and hard drive

I was using the gtx 760 oc with both

i5 6500
asrock z170a x1
ddr4 gskill 2400 8gb
gtx 760 oc

amd 8320
asus m5a97
ddr3 8gb
gtx 760 0c

rderubeis

Honorable
Mar 15, 2015

there is no such thing as i5 6500k. the i5 6500 can be overclocked with the right motherboard using bckl, So 4 cores is not enough to have 2 game open. That just doesnt seem likely. So is the amd 8320fx a better cpu then the i5 6500

rderubeis

Honorable
Mar 15, 2015

with my amd i never had to do this. Everyone said how much better intel is thats y i tried it. i loved the amd 8320, but i gave it to my fiance. I dont kno why so many people hate on amd

Watching a stream on twitch should hardly use the cpu enough to matter and it's gpu accelerated like any other video player. I think the issue is elsewhere but stuttering is too broad. My first thought would be a driver issue. What driver version? The latest have had issues, I'm still on 361. Might want to reinstall the drivers and use ddu.

rderubeis

Honorable
Mar 15, 2015

I dont have the newest driver i have the 1 before the new 1. Its mainly when i am in wow, and i alt tab and play csgo i get the stutter, which is weird because im still getting over 400 fps. But i feel the stutter or choppyness

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Might be a settings issue. If you've run GeForce Experience, and optimized, it'll take good advantage of the i5's greater thread capability with regards to certain cpu oriented DirectX drivers. Done with both games, this'll put a strain on the cpu with both running as you are limited to 4 threads vrs the 8 threads of the 8320. Even if the games were prior optimized with the 8320, they would have been optimized at a lesser degree for some of those drivers, but with 8 threads to share the load, it had the room to multitask better.

Welcome to the current argument, what's better, amd 8 slower threads or Intel faster 4 threads.

Play around with the GeForce settings, things like viewing distance, shadows etc. While these are primarily gpu oriented, they'll still use more cpu than the actual detail settings.

rderubeis

Honorable
Mar 15, 2015

I had no issues with my amd, then i get this and now im having issues. The sad thing is the fps is almost the same. The i5 gets a little more. Im overclocked to 4.3 i dont get y im having these issues.

An i5 can definitely play twitch and csgo or wow at the same time without stutter. There is no high level of multithreading needed there. There is no point in trying to discuss theories when you can troubleshoot and figure out what the actual cause is.

You can get the same fps if you are gpu limited not cpu. Go check what driver version. Go check cpu usage. Turn on vsync and see if that helps the stutter any. You've gotta try things to figure this out.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
WoW is heavily cpu oriented and any cpu will take a hit when dealing with a large multi-player server. A buddy of mine has a i5 2500k /gtx670 and his fps tanks if he hits a 64 drop group, fps in the toilet simply due to cpu bottleneck. But just in WoW. Dropped his settings from ultra to high and his fps leveled out. It's the only reason I suggested this as a possibility, k1114, as you'd already given op several other good possibilities, all which can be tested

If the issue is with wow though, WoW is notorious for favoring Intel Cpu's and nVidia graphics cards. My guess something else going on in the background.

rderubeis

Honorable
Mar 15, 2015

I just had my friend who had an i5 6600 non k do the same thing, and he gets the jitter/choppyness as well. So its not just me. I think its just because my amd had 8 cores.

rderubeis

Honorable
Mar 15, 2015

my cpu usage does not go above 80% when both games are open, and my temps do not go above 60c. I tried the most current driver, and the 1 before hand. I had a few people with intel skylake do the same test with 2 games open, and they have the same issue. AMD is just better when it comes to having more things going on, as it should. I just thought the i5 6500 would be able to handle the same since its got 4 cores and its alot newer, and it benchmarks better in single core and multithreaded performance. thats why it makes no sense to me

But there are all these others with intel who don't stutter. My brother has the 8320, it's a good value, but lots of people just do not get any stuttering issue so can't put it down to intel vs amd. You'd be hearing about it in reviews and if it was such a problem, people wouldn't want to go intel. Does vysnc do nothing? I've seen this issue before though but can't remember what he did to fix it. It was a hardware issue. What's you friend's specs?

rderubeis

Honorable
Mar 15, 2015

i5 6600
msi b150 gaming
gtx 970

all his parts are brand new as well. Dont get me wrong the intel gives better fps and performance. But you just cant have 2 games running a once to much stuttering. I thought it was be but his pc does the same thing