[SOLVED] 2007 imac not booting/usb ports not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

sirliam99

Reputable
Aug 27, 2014
this Imac doesn't boot because it can not find the boot files. I wiped the hard drive and tried to boot with the installation disk. The problem is I can use alt to attempt to run the disk but the keyboard and mouse doesn't respond. the lights on the mouse don't even turn on. I tried a wireless and wired mouse. Yet, the ports are putting out power because I can charge my phone. I am really lost what can I possibly do?

Solution
You can only properly partition and format the hard disk on another Mac. You can't do this on a PC. If you have access to a Mac, try using it to install OS X on the hard disk then put it back in the iMac. If not I think you are going to have to ask a shop to check it for hardware faults.

McHenryB

Admirable
If the USB ports aren't working, this sounds like a hardware problem. You need to ask an Apple Store, or a competent Apple repair shop, to look at it for you.

How did you manage to wipe the hard drive without a working mouse or keyboard? Note that to boot from a CD on a Mac you hold down the "C" key as soon as you have turned it on. Keep it pressed until the Mac boots.

sirliam99

Reputable
Aug 27, 2014
@McHenryB
I plugged in the hard drive into another computer an wiped it from there. And yes Ihave already tried to boot mac with the installatation disk but noting happens yet I can use the eject button.

McHenryB

Admirable
You can only properly partition and format the hard disk on another Mac. You can't do this on a PC. If you have access to a Mac, try using it to install OS X on the hard disk then put it back in the iMac. If not I think you are going to have to ask a shop to check it for hardware faults.

Solution

sirliam99

Reputable
Aug 27, 2014

I just tried installing the os from a different computer (mac), I can get to the install os option but when I hit enter the computer restarts and I get to a white screen with an icon that means the computer can not find the os. I have also tried different hdds that boot on other macs with no luck. It looks like my only option is to bring to a store.

Status
Not open for further replies.