GT 440 vs GTX 750 (power consumption)

ellachen0417

Commendable
Apr 4, 2016
I'm thinking of finally upgrading my GT 440 and going for a GTX 750 TI. Will there be a significant increase in power consumption?

Now, I have very specific power needs. I've been using a GT 440 even though I have the budget for a proper gaming card, because my entire house is running through an off grid solar system throughout the day. The GT 440 allows me to keep a game running indefinitely (I once tried to upgrade to a GTS 250 but the increased power consumption shortened the amount of time I was able to run on solar.)

So I'm eyeing a GTX 750 TI as an upgrade. I'm seeing good reviews performance wise (it's not a high end gaming card, but keep in mind that I've had no complaints gaming on a GT 440) but I'm worried if the power consumption increase is substantial. If it's only a few watts here and there, I don't mind. I'm just looking at specs and I see that the GTX 750 TI requires a 400 watt power supply, whereas the GT 440 only requires 300 watts.

I have a 500 watt true rated PSU (Silverstone brand) and only use an Ivy Bridge i3 along with a single green HDD, I have no doubts that my system can handle the GTX 750 TI. I'm just wondering if the overall power consumption when I upgrade would be within spitting distance of my old GT 440.

EDIT: Thanks for the answer ko888. I actually went ahead and made the blind purchase (thinking that I can just return it if things don't go well.) I don't know if it's because my GT 440 is worn out or that the GT 750 TI is that much more efficient, but my system is now quieter and pulls even less from the inverter (went from my entire PC + monitor pulling in 190-230va to just pulling in 180-300va.)