i7 4790 : one core much hotter tan others (+30°C)

ereyre

Commendable
Apr 7, 2016
Hi
I build by the en of last year my new pc with a 4790 i7. I was using the default intel fan.
one of my activity is compiling, and it use a lot of cpu, so often, the intel was blowing like hell, so i decide to go for a much efficient fan (dark rock3)

most of the time, all core are 30°C (core 1 40° but it may be normal) but during compiling that's a different story : Core 1 : 100°C, others 60-65 ....

I remove the black rock, remove the past, put new one, reinstall ... same thing

Any idea of what may cause that, and how to solve this?

ps : when compiling, I use all core

Solution
still like a direct-touch heatpipe cooler you may have a uneven spot look that up to see what I mean and why you should check them with a straight edge

''In Frostytech's tests we noted that all four heatpipes were not perfectly flush to the surface of the aluminum base, this will impact thermal efficiency as heatpipe-to-CPU gaps are filled with relatively less ''

http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2615&page=1

if that were to apply in your case ??

may come down to defective chip in some way ? after 20 built rigs kinda see that maybe ? unlike amd chips my intels work all cores near evenly sharing the work load ???

poor batch - old -cheap thermal paste used ??

ereyre

Commendable
Apr 7, 2016

When using make, you can say how many cpu you want to use ( make -j 8 for my case : better performance than make -j 4). When using make without -j, only one compiler at a time will be used, one at a time ( 1st file, 1st cpu, then 2nd file, 2nd cpu .... ) so it's hard to stick one make process to a specific cpu.

without make -j x, cpu are much lower in temperature (50 - 80) but it take a lot of time

ereyre

Commendable
Apr 7, 2016

Already try : I clean all the past, an do it again ... same result. I've also build 20+ systems with customs heatsink without issues. And this problem occure also with the default intel heatsink.

can it be a defect in the chip ?

still like a direct-touch heatpipe cooler you may have a uneven spot look that up to see what I mean and why you should check them with a straight edge

''In Frostytech's tests we noted that all four heatpipes were not perfectly flush to the surface of the aluminum base, this will impact thermal efficiency as heatpipe-to-CPU gaps are filled with relatively less ''

http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2615&page=1

if that were to apply in your case ??

may come down to defective chip in some way ? after 20 built rigs kinda see that maybe ? unlike amd chips my intels work all cores near evenly sharing the work load ???

poor batch - old -cheap thermal paste used ??

Solution

Windwalker95

Reputable
Mar 18, 2016
It maybe the thermal paste between the cpu die and the IHS, apparently many other people have the same issue with the same chip you have. Maybe file an RMA? Because if you do de-lid the cpu, you most likely will void the warrenty.