Can't go over 1024 x 768 resolution - It's grayed out

Domingog

Commendable
Apr 7, 2016
Can't go over 1024 x 768. It's grayed out. I have a GeForce gtx 560 plugged into a new monitor I bought that supports up to 1920 x 1068 but can't change it. Its grayed out.

All drivers up to date.
When I uninstalled my display adapter drivers it could go up to maximum resolution but as soon as I reinstall the Nvidia drivers it goes back to 1024X768 and greys out.

Connected with a VGA cable and using a DVI adapter since the card only had DVI outputs.
When I try to update drivers under monitor it gets stuck. it takes hours without any notable progress. I just shut it down.
My monitor says that I have a generic non pnp monitor if that matters.

Any fix for changing resolution?

Its pretty simple.

The blue vga connector of 15 pins of the D sub type is for analog monitor signaling.
The maximum resolution of Analog vga is 1024 x 768.

So if using a Dvi adapter to vga you will only be able to get that maximum resolution.
To get a higher resolution you will need to use the Dvi port of the video card to a monitor that has a Dvi connector on it.
Analog is limited to a set number of resolutions for Vga mode.
Where as Digital such as Dvi-D or Hdmi will give you a higher choice of resolutions.

A monitor profile can often increase the amount of resolutions that can be displayed because it holds a resolution table detailing what resolution the monitor can display at and the HZ range that windows should set for it, and the color bit depth. 16bit, 32bit.

You can get a monitor profile by searching google for the brand and model number of your monitor in most cases depending on it`s age for LCD or CRT based monitors.

You cannot cross over a Vga analog signal to a Digital signal.
Vga to Dvi, DVI stands for Digital Video Interface.
It can come wired or if the graphics card has two Dvi ports one can be for pure Digital signal.
Where as the other can be used for Analog signals due to the way each port is pinned out.

Also the type of adapter you use and how it is pinned out can effect the end resolution displayed.

Dvi-D is a digital adapter or wired cable, where as Dvi-I is an analog adapter, or wired cable.

When you look at an adapter or cable with a Dvi type connector. a long single flat pin on the Dvi connector denotes it is a digital Dvi cable or adapter.

Four smaller pins that surround the larger flat pin denote the Dvi cable or adapter is wired for Dvi- I or analog signal.

What exact video card (manufacturer and part number) and monitor are you using.

Nvidia claims that the 560 should easily support analog resolutions beyond 1024x768:
Display Support:
Yes - Multi Monitor
2560x1600 - Maximum Digital Resolution
*** 2048x1536 - Maximum VGA Resolution ***
Yes - HDCP
Yes - HDMI2
Two Dual Link DVI, Mini HDMI - Standard Display Connectors
Internal - Audio Input for HDMI

They also say DVI and HDMI ports, and don't mention having a VGA port. Other manufacturers can make changes of course, but are you using a DVI to VGA cable or adapter or a card with a native VGA port?

I think you have a driver or EDID issue.

Domingog

Commendable
Apr 7, 2016
There is sometimes a problem with the EDID settings with Nvidia cards and certain monitors. Here's a thread about how to possibly fix it...

http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/54981-cant-pic...

Another possible solution here (on TH no less):

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/94-63-screen-resoluti...

I'll look into this. Thank you