i5 4460 good enough?

Micker007

Commendable
Apr 7, 2016
Hi, my first post.
So thanks for any help you guys can give.

My CPU is an Intel i5-4460 I know min specs for the HTC Vive are i5-4590, GTX 970, 8GB Ram

I was thinking of updating my GPU before Vive was released (maybe 980ti), do you think this GPU (given it is over spec) will be sufficient coupled with the 4460 to run (with good results) or will I need to upgrade the CPU as well. I have 12 GB Ram.

Thanks for any help

Solution

In that case I wouldn't upgrade either right now. Instead I would just try out the Vive and see how it works on your hardware. The current games might not give you any reason to upgrade. Since the launch VR games are designed with the 970 in mind you might be able to get by with your current setup until Pascal is available.

If...

king3pj

Distinguished
The Rift has the same minimum specs as the Vive and I know someone who is getting good results with an old i5-2500k. He does have it overclocked to 4.2GHz but I think you will probably be fine for the current games with your 4460.

VR games' required specs are going to vary just like standard games do though. Having the minimum specs for the hardware now doesn't guarantee good performance in every VR game.

Without knowing your current GPU I think you are probably making the right decision by upgrading to the 980 Ti instead of upgrading your CPU though. I would think that a 4460 paired with a 980 Ti should be able to handle any VR game for at least a couple years.

Micker007

Commendable
Apr 7, 2016
Thanks for taking the time to reply. As I stated I have a GTX 970 at the moment, which is min spec. I probably should have been clearer. Do you think I would be better upgrading the GPU or would it be wiser to upgrade the CPU to get both parts to the min spec? Or will the 4460 be sufficient and I'd be better spending more cash on the 980ti. I can afford to get the 980ti but not that and a new CPU. Thanks

king3pj

Distinguished

In that case I wouldn't upgrade either right now. Instead I would just try out the Vive and see how it works on your hardware. The current games might not give you any reason to upgrade. Since the launch VR games are designed with the 970 in mind you might be able to get by with your current setup until Pascal is available.

If performance in some games isn't at a level you are happy with you can run software like HWInfo while you play to see whether it's the 970 or 4460 that is causing the problems.

Solution