~$1000 Solidworks Workstation Build

ShelteredChild

Commendable
Apr 7, 2016
I'm terrible at starting to write, so yes, this is my Intro.

My workplace has asked me to budget out and build a computer, with the main programs being Solidworks 2016 and MatLab. I've only built one computer myself, and as such do not fully trust myself in getting the best "bang for the buck", so I've come to the Internet for help

I've been allocated a budget of ~$1000 USD but have quite a few questions in regards to "does it really make a difference" type of questions.

After doing some research, I have found some good looking/sounding builds [Build one](https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/36c1nv/1000_cadsolidworks_workstation/), but as tech changes (as well as prices) so quickly, I assumed they could be improved.

No, we can not wait until the newer 14nm hardware: we need this computer as soon as possible.

Also, the end goal of this post is to end up with some nice parts lists/build guides, if any of you have the time.
I've tried my best to get some form of an idea already, but am overloaded with info, and would rather not make a mistake in the purchase.

#In regards to needs/uses/workload:

##Noise: If they cared about noise, they probably wouldn't have been using their current "solution" for so long, a closed laptop hooked up to two external monitors. So noise level is generally not something of concern. (It will also be in an office next to a machine shop, so again, noise is not a concern.)

##Requirements:

-The Case will be under the corner of a right angle desk, so we will be looking at cases like the HAF XB EVO <-- Click to see it.
-We already have our OS, Windows 10 Pro, purchased. you do not need to allocate budget funds for this.
-Monitors and other peripherals are already taken care of and do not need to be factored into the budget. There will be 2 monitors, so the build needs to support them both, as well as a keyboard and mouse (the basics). I might spring for an SD card reader as well, for offloading pictures from our drones (yeah, we have drones :p).

###WORKLOAD (In caps because it's probably the most important):
We will be running Solidworks and MATLAB primarily on this PC- that entails lots of single-thread/single-core work, so likely an Intel CPU. The Solidworks models will likely have under 100 parts, but possibly more.

We will not be focusing on simulations, most of the work we do doesn't even have moving parts.

#Decisions:

##The GPU:
The main issue I'm having is deciding on the series for the GPU. I know AMD supposedly does better for Solidworks, and even has certifications on some of their hardware.

Both AMD and nVidia make a workstation GPU, the FirePro and Quadro, respectively. But my current computer had an MSI TwinFrozr GeForce GTX 760 2GB OC and seemed to run the 2014/15 version fine (albeit I'm not that advanced).
Summary of Options:
-Using my old GTX 760 2GB OC for $100
-Purchasing an R9 290 Overclocked from a friend for $150
-Buying an AMD FirePro, Please advise on which model, and/or include it in your system parts list.

##The CPU:
(Let's be honest, you probably knew I would ask about this too.)
The CPU brings another set of trouble, with so many options these days. I only barely understand Intel's categories, but again am open to AMD if they provide better quality at my price point. i3 Intel processors are likely out of the question, but that still leaves i5, i7, and even Xeon chips, never mind the subcategories of each one.

So I'm generally at a loss here. Xeon chips (supposedly, and frankly let's just assume for the rest of this post that most of what I know is hearsay, not 100% factual) are good for workloads, but as far as I know require special socketed MBs and/or RAM. They also offer less power consumption, but prices vary and I'm not aware of their of processing power in regards to Solidworks rendering.

i5's are said to be a prime choice for gaming and everyday use, with i7's being the best for heavy workloads. So that's great info and all... but what's considered a heavy enough workload that I'd need an i7?

Is it worth getting a Skylake CPU? As far as I know that entails newer RAM, and a newer MB, both of which are more expensive than the older gear.

##RAM: I assume 8 GB will be enough for this build, likely low profile if an air cooler is used, or normal-sized for a liquid cooler build.

###Motherboard:

-Simple stuff really. At least 3 USB 3.0's, "the more the merrier" and all that Jazz.
-On-Board Ethernet, although I'm not even sure you can get one without that these days.
-Audio isn't anywhere near the top of the priority list, the only use would be for alerts, so basic audio is fine.
-Wifi, although we can always purchase an adapter for this, or buy a PCI-E card.

-I suppose something with an automatic Overclocking button/setting might be nice, considering I have no idea what to do in that regard, will need to start using the system without delay. This is a completely optional part I suppose, so only if it fits in the budget.

###PSU:
This should be rather basic in terms of requirements, at least 80+ Bronze though. It doesn't need to look pretty, so non-modular is fine too.

###Storage:
In terms of storage, I was considering a small(ish) M.2 Drive like this one [M.2 Drive](http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147466) for the OS and a couple programs (including Solidworks, duh), but I don't understand most of the "lingo" such as IOPS or why you'd be randomly reading data. Along with the M.2 SSD, I was thinking I'd use a HDD with a few TBs, probably one 4TB HDD (if it fits the budget), as I have no clue how to do RAID for multiple (or if it would even be needed/helpful).

###Cooling: Obviously this will be pulling a bit of power, so cooling is a key piece. Liquid vs Air doesn't matter to me, as long as it works, and we don't plan on overclocking (mostly because I have no idea how to do it manually, and don't have the time to learn). I will note I'm partial to the Corsair H100i series, as it has proven performance

###The Case: A couple fans, no big window needed(unless it's a really cool set up XD). It will also need to be able to house whatever cooling we use.

Some other optional stuff to consider putting in the case, but not a deal breaker: An optical disk drive for loading/installing software, and an SD card reader, both of which we can also just get on the side, but should likely be included in the cost. If the case has support for a 5.25" ODD, I do have one to use so that cost can be ignored.

To those of you that read this, and especially those taking the time to respond, thank you. I lack the knowledge to do this myself and have already lost 2 nights of sleep (Monday and Wednesday, I did not sleep all night D:) So any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Best Regards and Many Thanks,

P. H. C.

the more information we get the better.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor ($369.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.29 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme4 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($174.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill NT Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($55.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($85.49 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.95 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 950 2GB Superclocked+ ACX 2.0 Video Card ($144.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($63.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 650W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($74.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1042.66
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-07 19:25 EDT-0400

is 45 dollars okay? i went for euh....
a rapid fast ssd and insane fast cpu so rendering times and coding will be extremely quick.
its 1000 dollars if u pick the cpu up in microcenter

Solution
Here is some material which may help, though much of it may pertain to higher cost builds:

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Solidworks-2016-CPU-Performance-Skylake-S-vs-Haswell-E-EP-756/

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Network-Rendering-in-Solidworks-2016-745/

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Using-a-GeForce-GPU-in-Solidworks-2016-751/

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Solidworks-2016-NVIDIA-Quadro-Performance-744/

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Solidworks-2016-Multi-Core-Performance-741/

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Is-CPU-Overclocking-in-Solidworks-2016-worth-it-747/

ShelteredChild

Commendable
Apr 7, 2016

First off, I'd like to thank you for taking the time to price out a computer for us!

I do have some feedback though, and hope you don't mind.

The first thing I noticed that might be a problem is the case. While it is a good case, it's going to be under a desk, and quite a low one at that, so it may not fit under. Even if it does fit, that case uses a top and bottom intake. That would heavily reduce airflow when it's below the desk, having the top and bottom both close to a flat surface, and beyond that only a rear and top exhaust, both would be blocked.

That's why as an example case, I included the HAF XB EVO, a smaller case with intake/exhausts on all sides.

One other thing to note is this; The MB you chose is, frankly, huge XD. I doubt we'll be putting anything more into the PC, so all those expansion ports aren't really needed. We could go with a much smaller MB, less gaming-themed, and a smaller case.

Lastly, Solidworks is OpenCL based (last I heard), so AMD will run it waaaaay better in terms of GPU, but also single-threaded 80% of the time, so an Intel CPU.

Other than that, thanks a ton for the suggestions!

logainofhades

Titan
Solidworks only officially supports quadro graphics, last I looked. All the systems, where I work, use quadro cards, for solidworks. That motherboard, that superninja listed, is a standard atx board, it just has a lot of ram slots, due to 5820k being a quad channel platform.

ShelteredChild,

I'm an incompetent but enthusaistic Solidworks user and friends at the local aerospace firm and wind tunnel have taught me a bit about Matlab. I recently lent them a Dell Precision T5400 to run some flight dynamics problems, one series of which ran for two days continuously. I'm trying to learn Wolfram Mathematica currently.

It is a daunting prospect to understand all the implications and interactions between software and hardware, but perhaps a couple of options can clarify the relationships and direct attention to some key parameters.

Both of the applications are extremely demanding; Solidworks needs a strong visualization chain and Matlab is calculation intensive and requires very high double precision. These applications are optimized using different performance emphases, but suffice to say that a lot of very fast CPU cores would be best. If one has to choose, fewer cores at a higher clock seed is preferable as that will speed the 3D modeling in real--time. The fewer cores will slow Matlab, but that has to sit and work by itself anyway, so the real -time use is not as critical. Plus, the required stability at full performance adds up in my view to Xeon LGA1366 or E5 > ECC RAM > Quadro. Solidworks will not run well at all on other than Quadros and there are even special Solidoworks drivers for Quados. I had a Quadro FX 4800 and there was a special version of it called the "CX" - just for Solidworks. I ran the Solidworks driver that provided x128 anti-aliaising and it was a marvel of the smooth torus.

OPTION 1:

Assuming the priority is Solidworks, and given the $1,000, I believe the only logical alternative is to buy a used workstation. How about:

HP Z420 Workstation Desktop Computer Intel Xeon E5 500GB sold for $430 (3.5.16)

This is Xeon E5 which is LGA2011. The E5-1620 v2 is 4-core @ 3.7 /3.9GHz with a Passmark single-threaded rating of 1917- very good. Add to this:

1. 24GB of DDR3-1866 ECC to have 32GB ( about $140)

2. Used Quadro K2200 4GB (about $225-$300)

3. Add a Tesla M2090 6GB coprocessor (about $100-$120)

3. Samsung 850 Evo 250GB SSD ($85-90)

4. WD Black 1TB (about $75-85)

The total in this instance is about $1,000.

The Telsa M2090 is the semi-magic ingredient as this is a GPU computing co-processing device that will act in lieu of a higher CPU core count in Matlab. This way, the 4-core can have a very high single-threaded performance for Solidworks and the Tesla will accelerate Matlab using it's processors and 512 CUDA cores. The M2090 new cost about $2,600 but they are highly depreciated as firms change to the newest models.The MTBF is 72,000 hours, so these can run for about 9 years continuously and reliability and a long working life is not a concern.

OPTION 2:

For a more Matlab enhanced system:

Solidworks is beautifully written and the rendering is fully multi-core scalar- the more CPU cores the better, whereas a number of programs peak processor use at 5-6 cores. So there is a strong advantage to having a 6 or 8 core CPU in rendering. Matlab can be fully multi-threaded and is also fully scalar to any number of Cores/ threads.

A possible solution to a very competent Solidworks systems but also having enhanced Matlab has been to use a system with very high single-threaded performance (currently Xeon E5-1660 v2 with Passmark = 2116) and then run renderings on an upgraded Dell Precision T5500 with 12-cores /24 threads (2X Xeon X5680). This approach a single system taking advantage of fully depreciated high performance multi-core, dual Xeons can perform very well in both applications. So, another approach is to buy a Precision T5500 and upgrade.

Dell Precision T7500 Two Quad Core Intel Xeon E5520 2.27ghz 24gb RAM sold for $249 (2.29.16)

> and to this you change:

1. The two CPU's to Xeon X5690 6-core @ 3.47 /3.73(about $400- $200 each)

2. Add 24GB of Ram to have 48GB ( about $70)

3. Quadro K2200 (about $250-$300)

4. Tesla M2090 (about $100-$120

5. PERC H310 RAID controller This converts the disk system to 6GB/s (about $70)

6. Samsung 850 Evo 250 GB (about $88)

7. WD Black 1TB ($80)

This is $1350, but it's possible initially to have the system with a single CPU and add the 2nd later, as well as a future Tesla M2090 so that option would initially cost about $1,040. .

There are of course, infinite options, but I feel these are the easiest to accomplish and have the best forward-looking potential, or at least suggest a method.

I have two HP z420's with perfect reliability and excellent performance and they're also the quietest system I've yet had. The 2013 one has an E5-1620 version 1 and I plan to change that to an E5-2690 8-core @ 3.9 / 3.8GHZ (about $350-400 now) or E5-2687w 8-core @ 3.1 /3.8GHz when I can find one at a reasonable price (now about $700-$1,000). If you change CPU's in the Z420 about a year or eighteen months, an E5-2687W v2- they might be in the $1,000 range by then $1,700-2.000 now), and you can have an 8-core @ 3.4 /4.0GHz CPU, in my view one of the best processors ever made.

Before using Windows 10, you might do some reading on Solidworks forums in that regard. Personally, I'm going to wait for Windows 11 or perhaps Windows 10 SP2.

Cheers,

BambiBoom

Modeling:

1. HP z420 (2015) > Xeon E5-1660 v2 (6-core @ 3.7 / 4.0GHz) > 32GB DDR3 1866 ECC RAM > Quadro K4200 (4GB) > Intel 730 480GB (9SSDSC2BP480G4R5) > Western Digital Black WD1003FZEX 1TB> M-Audio 192 sound card > 600W PSU> > Windows 7 Professional 64-bit > Logitech z2300 speakers > 2X Dell Ultrasharp U2715H (2560 X 1440)>
[ Passmark Rating = 5064 > CPU= 13989 / 2D= 819 / 3D= 4596 / Mem= 2772 / Disk= 4555]
[Passmark V9.0 Beta Rating = 5019.1 > CPU= 14206 / 2D= 779 / 3D= 5032 / Mem= 2707 / Disk= 4760] 3.31.16
[Cinebench R15 > CPU = 1014 OpenGL= 126.59 FPS] 7.8.15

Rendering:

2. Dell Precision T5500 (2011) (Revised) > 2X Xeon X5680 (6-core @ 3.33 / 3.6GHz), 48GB DDR3 1333 ECC Reg. > Quadro K2200 (4GB ) > PERC H310 / Samsung 840 250GB / WD RE4 Enterprise 1TB > M-Audio 192 sound card > Logitech z313 > 875W PSU > Windows 7 Professional 64> HP 2711x (27", 1920 X 1080)
[ Passmark system rating = 3844 / CPU = 15047 / 2D= 662 / 3D= 3550 / Mem= 1785 / Disk= 2649] (12.30.15)

TRENDING THREADS