i5-2500 vs i5-3570

Solution
Worth is something only YOU can determine.
If you can afford the $40, buy the stronger cpu, or you will forever wonder if you should have.

Nice video.
It shows a couple of interesting things.
1. How games perform will depend on the game.
2. For fast action games, the cpu speed is not all important. For sims, mmo, and strategy games, the results will likely be different.
3. X4-860K as a quad is somewhat on a par with a G3258 dual core. Demonstrates the less effective AMD architecture.
4. Some of the games can make good use of more than 2 cores, others are not much impacted.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Since they won't be OC'ed, I'd opt for the i5-3570 for the $40 difference in price. The newer the games and the busier the servers, the more the IB will outperform the SB.
If they were the "k" models, the i5-2500 would be slightly better at OC'ing temps.

the i5-3570 is perhaps 10% faster.
Probably not important when the graphics card is the limiting factor as in fast action games.
OTOH, the extra 10% is more helpful in games which depend on single thread performance like sims, mmo and strategy games.

I will initially pair it with GTX 750 Ti and later with GTX 960 4GB (or whatever NVIDIA will end up releasing that only requires a 6-pin).

Even an 860K is good enough. The person just wants to get away from laptops - not too much of a heavy gamer. He expects to play CS:GO, some F2P games like Planetside 2, maybe some AAA titles but only a few. He doesn't render or 3D model, just occasional editing.

You think $40 is worth it? It doesn't look like big of a difference. After research (once again), I found i5-2500 to be only 2-5 FPS slower in games and to be on par with i5-4440 performance.

So does it matter if not paired with high end cards?

Bother to look at this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXqlWMHukDg

Worth is something only YOU can determine.
If you can afford the $40, buy the stronger cpu, or you will forever wonder if you should have.

Nice video.
It shows a couple of interesting things.
1. How games perform will depend on the game.
2. For fast action games, the cpu speed is not all important. For sims, mmo, and strategy games, the results will likely be different.
3. X4-860K as a quad is somewhat on a par with a G3258 dual core. Demonstrates the less effective AMD architecture.
4. Some of the games can make good use of more than 2 cores, others are not much impacted.

Solution

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Ah. Under that scenario... then it doesn't much matter which of those two CPUs is in the socket. The $40 difference might be better spent elsewhere.