i7 950 vs AMD FX 8120

Primegaming

Reputable
Feb 15, 2015
so i have both CPUs and both on high end boards for there day, and i was considering changing the AMD CPU and motherboard as my main computer because it had better features like USB 3.0 front headers, alot more SATA 6gps spots, faster boot and better bio. but i am a gamer and i couldn't really find any benchmarks of the AMD 8120 gaming performance compared to the 950.

MOBO:
http://www.gigabyte.com.au/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3527#ov

https://www.asus.com/au/Motherboards/SABERTOOTH_990FX/

Solution
I'm using the Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 and the i7 970 overclocked to 4ghz (my sig is lying...it wasn't quite stable at 4.2). In gaming, I keep up with much newer systems. Honestly, I would find a cheap 970 or 980X and drop that in. The X58 platform is still solid as long as you're not SLI-ing GTX 980s (PCI-E 2.0 is the major drawback there). Overclocking that 950 may help too if you're not doing that already. After a lot of research though, I'm still not convinced that upgrading to a X99 platform would net me any improvement in gaming. The AMD most certainly wouldn't either.

theyeti87

Honorable
Stick with the i7, better single core performance and it operates a little more cool than the 8120. the X58 chipset was potent for its day.

I may be a little biased here, as my daily driver for gaming is the build in my sig, a i7-950 system :)

leo2kp

Distinguished
I'm using the Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 and the i7 970 overclocked to 4ghz (my sig is lying...it wasn't quite stable at 4.2). In gaming, I keep up with much newer systems. Honestly, I would find a cheap 970 or 980X and drop that in. The X58 platform is still solid as long as you're not SLI-ing GTX 980s (PCI-E 2.0 is the major drawback there). Overclocking that 950 may help too if you're not doing that already. After a lot of research though, I'm still not convinced that upgrading to a X99 platform would net me any improvement in gaming. The AMD most certainly wouldn't either.

Solution

theyeti87

Honorable

It wouldn't be make fiscal sense to buy a 970 to replace a 950. They're the exact same chip, slightly different clock speed. I've taken my 950 up to near 4ghz.

An overclocked i7 950 can compete with and even surpass an FX-9590, nevermind the inexpensive 6-core CPUs you can drop into your motherboard. I believe idle power consumption on AM3+ chips is a bit better, but in terms of raw performance, AMD has yet to build a CPU that's better than you could get on LGA1366.