How can I tell if I have a 650 ti or a 650 ti boost?

walrusoverlord

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013
I thought I had a 650 ti boost, but internally in things like dxdiag the computer calls it just a 650 ti. I am currently using 650 ti boost drivers, but my bios are that of the normal 650 ti. I am very confused. Is there any definitive way to tell? I no longer have the box it came in.

walrusoverlord

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013

The reason I am asking is to make sure it is safe to flash my bios to the newer 650 ti boost bios instead of the older regular 650 ti bios the card has by default. I know bios can be tricky so I was trying to narrow it down for sure before attempting it.

That's false. There's a difference in memory configuration. Even though the GPU is the same,
- the GPU is overclocked in the 650Ti Boost;

- the 650Ti Boost has 2GB 192-bit memory vs the 650Ti's 1GB 128 bit.

- The 650Ti has 5.4 GHz memory clock vs the 650Ti Boost's 6 GHz.

Also, the 650Ti Boost supports SLI.

There's no need. You won't see any difference by using a newer BIOS. Also, if you're willing, you could remove the shroud to see which GPU it is. If it's GK106-220-A1, it's the 650Ti. If it's GK106-240-A1, it's the 650Ti Boost.

An easier way is to see if there's an SLI connector on the card. If there is, the PCB will have a protruding bus on it:

MSINX6600SLI_sli.jpg

walrusoverlord

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013

I am having the "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered Display driver NVIDIA Windows Kernal Mode Driver, Version 362.00 stopped responding and has successfully recovered" error.

I have tried every fix I can find online all to no avail.

I have changed the NVIDIA control panel settings to prefer performance.
I have tried MSI afterburner to downclock it in an attempt to get rid of the factory overclock.
I tried the Timeout Detection and Recovery registry fix.
I have wiped the drivers in safe mode and installed stable drivers.

Nothing online has worked and I have now found a new answer on Tom's Hardware where someone with the same problem has fixed it by flashing the bios.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/364297-33-directx-problems-crashing

walrusoverlord

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013

Thanks both, I will open my pc up in a bit to check it physically and in the meantime download Gpu-z to check that out.

walrusoverlord

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013

Gpu-z is telling me 650 ti but inside the computer the card says boost on it so now I am more confused than ever.

walrusoverlord

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013

Ok, to be honest my computer is at a weird angle to the desk so I kinda just peeked inside the case and googled to compare images my bad about falsely claiming it was a boost. I did in earnest believe it was at the time though thank you both.