i7-6700 getting up to 87C - video of HW Monitor

360Kelvin

Commendable
Apr 12, 2016
Hi,
I have recently built a PC with an i7-6700 on a Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI.

I am using the stock cooler that came with the i7, although I have also purchased a Cooler Master RR-212E-16PK-R1 Hyper 212 Evo (because I didn't realise that the 6700 came with a fan). When I placed the stock fan on the board I didn't click it in properly and so lifted it up (and noticed that the thermal paste had been disturbed) and then put it back and clicked it into place.

I have run some tests with Prime95 (using both HWMonitor and RealTemp GT to check the temperature). Using both monitoring tools I have measured up to 87C on some cores. I believe that this temperature is too high, and I'd just appreciate some advice on whether there is likely anything wrong with the components or setup.

I ran the Small FFTs test on Prime95 today, and took the following video of the HWMonitor output (which shows the temps, voltages and other CPU and motherboard info).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsiOCHeJwek

The video is too long for me to ask you to watch the whole thing, but the highlights are at around 9 minutes (84C), 13 minutes (85C) and 16 minutes (87C), and then I stop the test at 17:20.

I wonder if anybody could please have a quick look and let me know if there is anything that looks wrong, and whether there is anything that I need to do.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

75c sounds more appropriate for the stock cooler. The i7 will run just a bit hotter than say an i5 due to the hyperthreading. Perfectly normal for a max temp on a stress test, you'll likely see max temps around 60, maybe 65c or so during regular programs (games and things). P95 is designed to be a worst case scenario for temps.

Arronleeds

Reputable
Nov 14, 2014

much better, if youre hoinh to be doing rendering and all that good stuff id advice you to get a better cooler, but you dont need to splash out a ton, get a hyper 212 evo and you will see a much better improvement :)