970/980ti plan advice needed plz

rtudds

Reputable
Sep 8, 2015
Hi hi if I say, built a PCs wiv a 970 but with a 750w psu,could I add a 980ti in it using the enthoo pro m case ,because a poster here gave me an awesome build for the 980ti,but I want get the 970 for now while I save for a 980ti ,using the build he gave only changing the gpu,not sure if allowed to post the screenshot of the build but I just loved the suggested build

As I understand it, GTX980ti production is slowing allowing for inventory clear out in anticipation of Pascal in June.
I have no doubts that 750w (make it a quality one only) would be sufficient for any current or new pascal card.
You are good there. A psu will use only what is demanded of it regardless of the max rating.

I might suggest you hedge your bet with a current purchase and buy a EVGA card. They have a 90 day free trade in program if you need a stronger card.
Check their web site for details.

rtudds

Reputable
Sep 8, 2015
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/CJ4KCJ That's the build he gave me,which I adore,but i like the ddr4 but I'd prefer a 970 for now with a cpu that's not a k cos over clocking isn't on my list,and I'd like a stock cooler cos the coolers look tricky,it's going to be first ever build,doesn't have to be sky lake i just want enough grunt to play and maybe have media player going at same time or spotify

rtudds

Reputable
Sep 8, 2015

Yeh I heard about those , I can make do with the 970 till I get the cash ,but I'm afraid to build first time with such an expensive gpu, I'm only gonna get basic 1080p monitor so the ti maybe wasted lol,two reputable companies ,chill last and scan all there prebuilt are corsair or some other unknown brand ,and on this forum everyone says don't skimp or buy crap psu, I shall point my light sabre east and build myself lol

rtudds

Reputable
Sep 8, 2015

I'm not trying to sli ,basically gonna use the 970 till I save for the ti,then kinda hop swap the cards,hence the stronger psu I'll need.

rtudds

Reputable
Sep 8, 2015
This pc has been my dream for over a year,I had 600 pound saved ,then we lost 80 pound a week so my pc savings floated us,then I got to 300 lol, but bought a steering wheel for gaming,that broke,so then the wheel was faulty,then the bank had my 200 pound for 14 days , it's so funny but I'm now back to 400 so I'm going to get the build and order bit by bit starting tomorrow.three chances blown cos of circumstance and fear ,the prebuilt dark side or the good side d.i.y ,most of that time I been deciding wasting time.you couldn't make it up

scan and overclockers.co.uk do some pre built with better stuff but the prices go way up

you will save money doing it yourself and yes at 1080p i wouldnt fork out for a 980ti

i recommend scan because they do a pretty cheap insurance which covers you if you damage anything during your build

to me its a great idea dont know why more companies dont do it

rtudds

Reputable
Sep 8, 2015

The linked build is actually very good.
The i5-6600K does not come with a stock cooler so you do need to pick one.
It need not be ultra strong.
But, I would pick one with a quieter 120mm fan like the Cryorig H7 or a cm hyper212.

At stock the i5-6600K will do the job very well.
It is easy to overclock(a misnomer)
All you do is select a higher than the default multiplier of 35.
With a good chip, 46 is easy using all else on default.
But you do not need to do that.
Faster core speed is mostly beneficial to strategy games, sims and mmo types.
Either is actually easier to mount properly than the old stock intel cooler.

If you will be gaming at 1080P, then a GTX970 will play most games very well.
Reserve a GTX980ti or pascal upgrade for if you go to a 1440P or 4k monitor.

rtudds

Reputable
Sep 8, 2015

rtudds

Reputable
Sep 8, 2015
Geofelt Ha ha I thought the bog standard Intel cooler was easy as pie gggrrrr lol basically need a very very easy to install cooler then because I'm a 1st time builder, but it needs to have room for a future 980ti or similar ,and fit the case he recommended as the standoffs are pre installed and easy for 1st timers