2x 960 4gb or 1x gtx 970 ?

OG_Cyanide

Commendable
Apr 17, 2016
I have 1 MSI GTX 960 armor x2 4GB and i feel like upgrading but should i get 1 more MSI GTX 960 4GB to SLI or should i get 1 gtx 970, and sell my gtx 960?

Dont know if it helps but my system is:
I7 3770k OC to 4.5 ghz with the h100i gtx
1 MSI GTX 960 armor x2 4GB (with a small OC)
1 XFX black edition R7970 (running my 2nd monitor because of some slight screen tearing problems when tapping out of a game.)
And a z77 board from gigabyte

Yes i know the system is kinda old but i got it pretty cheap. :)

Solution
Wait for Pascal:

While the others are selling their 960's to buy Pascal you grab one of them for a really low cost.

Best scenario: A system that outperforms the gtx 980 on the majority of new titles.

Worst case scenario: Nop, I don't want to think about it. After all that's the strategy I'll use myself (And is a really cheap one).
A single 970 is more powerful than two 960s, however the cheapest option is to get a second 960 for 970 class performance.
Sure you can sell it and not deal with a dual card setup, however this would likely end up costing more.

I personally would stick with the 960 for a few more months and see how pascal turns out.

The good news: you can sell your current 960 for still a decent amount before the Pascals come out in a few months ahead and buy a 970.

The bad news: you can buy a 970, sell your 960 for a decent amount, then see the Pascal 970 replacement be faster.

My recommendation: if you need something better NOW, sell your 960 then get a 970. Also as a 970 SLI owner I will state that multi-GPU support is generally not worth it over a single higher end GPU solution. I have had SLI dating back to the Voodoo2 days of GPUs and even had Crossfire 4870s.

Never have I seen such a decrease in scaling and even support in new games as I have these days with multi-GPUs. I will be replacing my 970s next year with whatever the Pascal 980Ti replacement will be for a single card GPU solution.

OG_Cyanide

Commendable
Apr 17, 2016
I was thinking about maybe slling my gtx 960 now, use my r7970 until pascal comes out and then pick up a GTX 970 for cheap, i just dont know how cheap that will be.
What do you think about that ?

Well, 970 prices will not drop when pascal comes out. Never once has a graphics card series dropped in price when its successor came out, they cut production long before the new series launches.
That considered you would still be looking at a 970 now, or face higher prices later (or pascal)

OG_Cyanide

Commendable
Apr 17, 2016

Yes i know that new GTX card dosen't drop in price, but i ment buy a GTX 970 used when people upgrade to pascal :)
And i won't be getting pascal because i dont have that kinda money xD
Also GTX 960 is close to the performens i need so a GTX 970 is the sweet spot (i think)

Well you dont know how much pascal will cost yet, so its too soon to say you cant afford it.
If you really want a 970 it is a viable jump from a 960 (if you can get good prices for your 960).
It is also worth noting (as of checking yesterday) EVGA B-Stock 970s are back for 250.

OG_Cyanide

Commendable
Apr 17, 2016

I know but looking back at old launches the gtx 970 was too high price for me so i doubt that pascal will be in my price range xD.
Also i live in Denmark so i cant really use the price tip, but thx anyway :)

Well the good news for you is that if Pascal turns out to be that much better than the 9xx series, you'll be having a lot to choose from on the GTX 970 used market this summer, heh.

Normally I'd be tempted to offload my two 970s soon while I can still get top dollar for them before the market gets flooded with them. But I've decided to to suck the losses up and wait for the 980Ti replacement next year. I'm so done with SLI.

darklex

Reputable
Apr 26, 2014
Wait for Pascal:

While the others are selling their 960's to buy Pascal you grab one of them for a really low cost.

Best scenario: A system that outperforms the gtx 980 on the majority of new titles.

Worst case scenario: Nop, I don't want to think about it. After all that's the strategy I'll use myself (And is a really cheap one).

Solution