Will i7 4790 bottleneck with gtx 960?

Solution
Bottleneck - misused term ??
Biggest understatement imaginable IMO.

A GPU absolutely 100% can't bottleneck a CPU , what GPU choice will do will limit fps in games.
You buy according to budget & what you want to achieve performance wise.
The 960 is mid range at best - csgo,lol,sky rim - you'll do ultra 60fps easily - it 100% won't do ultra on new titles with any type of playable fps irregardless of what CPU you own

Newer triple AAA titles like GTA v, division, dark sound 3 if you want 50-60fps it'll be medium to high settings.

High to ultra requires a 970 or r9 390

Straight ultra 60fps requires a 980ti of r9 fury - its as plain & simple as that.

The 960 will play any title out there at playable settings & playable fps - not at 60fps...
Odd question? The limiting factor will be the GPU, your cpu would happily run sli 980Ti's. The real questions to ask are, what resolution and fps do you want to game at and what's the budget? Also what make and model PSU do you have?

Don't get hung up on the term bottleneck, it's regularly miss used

DasHotShot

Honorable
I don't understand who it is...but somebody or some mythical entity is coming to inexperienced PC builders at night and whispers things about "bottnecks" in their ear.

Most people don't know what the correct wattage PSU is for their hardware...how are they concerned about CPU/GPU limitations in specific games hahahaha

spdragoo

Expert
Ambassador
As @sizzling said, the question is more what games you will be playing, & what resolution you will be playing at. Sure, an i7-4790 can handle a 980Ti (& even SLI a pair of them), provided there's enough juice from the PSU...but unless you're planning on gaming at 1440p or 4K resolutions, that 980Ti is going to be overkill. Even at 1080p resolutions, the Tom's Hardware recommendations only range from the 950 to the 970 (with the 960 comfortably in the middle), or AMD's 280s/380s as alternatives. Heck, if you're not even going to reach 1080p resolutions, even a 970 would be overkill.

Bottleneck - misused term ??
Biggest understatement imaginable IMO.

A GPU absolutely 100% can't bottleneck a CPU , what GPU choice will do will limit fps in games.
You buy according to budget & what you want to achieve performance wise.
The 960 is mid range at best - csgo,lol,sky rim - you'll do ultra 60fps easily - it 100% won't do ultra on new titles with any type of playable fps irregardless of what CPU you own

Newer triple AAA titles like GTA v, division, dark sound 3 if you want 50-60fps it'll be medium to high settings.

High to ultra requires a 970 or r9 390

Straight ultra 60fps requires a 980ti of r9 fury - its as plain & simple as that.

The 960 will play any title out there at playable settings & playable fps - not at 60fps ultra though - if you bear that in mind its a decent card.
I'd argue that at the same price point the 380 is a better choice but that's probably going to start another amd vs nvidia argument :-/

Solution