R9 390 Running at 95c Normal?

bigorangecat1987

Commendable
Mar 23, 2016
Hi, I recently bought an Asus R9 390 Strix graphics card and noticed that on most modern games, the card runs at about 95c and idles around 50-60c. Fan noise seems much louder than I would have expected for a card marketed as being quiet. The case I have it in is very well cooled with multiple intake and exhaust fans.

Is this normal or should I just look into optimizing the airflow in my case further?

Thanks!

Solution
0C would be a faulty reading. Those 60C temps are awfully high on idle for having fans spin. I'm feeling either they did a horrid thermal paste job at the factory or the cooler is loose.

bigorangecat1987

Commendable
Mar 23, 2016

Thanks for the reply. My case is the Corsair Obsidian 350D. It has a 140mm intake fan on the front, a 120mm outtake fan on the back, and two 120mm outtake fans mounted to a Corsair GTX H100i.

Fans are usually spinning while under 60c. One thing I noticed is sometimes two out of the three graphics card fans will be spinning while one isn't. However they all start spinning whenever running a game.

Not sure if this clue helps, but while running Unigine benchmarks, it always shows the temperatures at 0c.

PatrioticPickle

Reputable
Dec 2, 2015
Wow those temps are awfully high especially those idle ones. I'd be contacting the company from which you bought it from and see if you can get an exchange for a new one. Or swap to a new brand of 390 ( I personally prefer the MSI version)

bigorangecat1987

Commendable
Mar 23, 2016

Yeah, it's looking that way. I'll probably just RMA the card.

I'll look into doing that. It does appear the MSI 390 gets better reviews.

Guy_7_

Commendable
Sep 6, 2016
Idle temp is high due to no fans spinning (if this bothers you for reasons I cannot imagine you could always set a low custom fan curve but thats pointless as the card is not in use on idle obviously)
95 degrees is actually normal with this gpu when stress testing on 100% load, i was getting 93/4 degrees on heaven benchmark. the chip runs hot as hell but it is fine to run at this temperature. Once again i think you can set different fan curve due to msi being set not to run at 100% as far as I'm aware (sounds like a fighter jet taking off next to your face). Think my last one was running at about 70% fan speed at 95 degrees.

You shouldn't be reaching these temperatures in games alone though, should be more around the 80-85 mark in more recent titles from my experience with stock cooler and stock paste.

If it is bothering you that much you have a few options with the card itself as far as I'm aware (if you want to keep the card anyway),
1) Set fan speed to 100% once you hit say 85 degrees, helps if you're deaf.
2) attach an aio water cooling set up with a g10 bracket and a small amount of modification due to non reference pcb layout.it will require some copper heatsinks as to avoid frying your vrms.
3) EKs site sells a full cover water block for the msi 390/x, although this is the most expensive option as it will set you back around £100 for the block alone.