$1300 Build-may need tweeks and advice (First time builder)

Nick4President

Commendable
Mar 30, 2016
Approximate Purchase Date: Tomorrow hopefuly

Budget Range: After rebates and shipping, $1300

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, school, surfing, youtube

Are you buying a monitor: Yes

So my build is already at $980(Minus the monitor) http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Rp4djX without a GPU. And I plan on getting the equivalent to the GTX970 pascal when it comes out which should be $400ish so I'm a little over. I really don't want to cut corners so going over a little isn't a huge deal. But I'm a first time builder, and are all these necessary? Where can I cut a corner and not regret it later? I have no added fans, do I need a any?

I plan on playing games like The division, First person shooters, GTA5, ect.

Solution
Obvious place would be dropping the 6600k and aftermarket cooler in favor of an i5-6500 with stock cooling, along with a b150/h170 motherboard. The i5-6500 is enough to run everything for quite a while.

theunliked

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014
Use a SATA SSD instead. There is absolutely 0% performance gain in getting an M.2. The current SSDs are nowhere near saturating the 6Gps speed limit of sata.

If you already have a windows 7/8/8.1, you can installing on your new pc before upgrading for free to windows 10.

I bought the CM Octane half a year ago and now I regret it. The mouse is very inconsistent. It double clicks when I try to single click. I got a replacement 2 months ago and now its starting to do that again. Sure, they look good, but thats at the expense of lower quality mouse switches.

Dropping to a cheaper cpu is also an option, but the 6600k is great at overclocking. This cpu will last longer than the 6500.

Nick4President

Commendable
Mar 30, 2016

I would like to the option to overclock in the future though. would that still be possible?

Nick4President

Commendable
Mar 30, 2016

I agree, I'm going to switch to a SSD and save some cash. Unfortunately, the only windows I have is on my girlfriends computer which is what I'm using at the moment. Theres no way to get a copy is there?

And Ill look into a better mouse and keyboard. Id rather learn from your mistake lol

The board you listed has NVMe support for a higher performing m.2 drive such as the Samsung 950. It moves off the limitations of SATA and onto PCIe for much faster performance. Using the 850 EVO m.2 will be yield about the same performance as any standard 2.5" SATA SSD. You can use the 850 EVO m.2 but it wastes the potential of the m.2 slot. The 950 is a lot more expensive too. Just wanted you to know the options.

theunliked

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014
There's no way to copy windows over. See if your girlfriends has the windows install dvd and license key.

Take a look at asrock SkyOC. It allows for non-K cpu overclocking. Intel tried removing this loophole in february, but asrock found a way around it. I'd get the mobo before Intel blocks it again. haha
They can't force you to update the BIOS anyway.

Nick4President

Commendable
Mar 30, 2016

Lol, ill look into it. I heard they're trying to stop overclocking with the new gpu generation :( Don't know how thatd work though.

If you want to try out OCing in the future then yeah, stick with the K. There are ways around it with specific motherboards and bios revisions but eh, make your life easy. If you can afford the K version then go for it.

I would recommend a better CPU cooler tho. The Hyper 212 Evo isnt a bad cooler, but Cryorig is putting out a better part for a few bucks more. Check out the Cryorig H7. Similar mounting as the Evo, but cools better, is shorter and doesn't overlap any RAM slots.

Nick4President

Commendable
Mar 30, 2016

I see. Should I downgrade my motherboard then? Or is it just a waste to put a m.2 into it, id be better off saving the 10 bucks on a normal ssd?

Nick4President

Commendable
Mar 30, 2016

Oh..Wow mind blown lol. So whats the point? Spec bragging rights?

This is my new setup, after the help: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wXz7D3

Is this monitor necessary? For 180 it seems reasonable, but is there anything about 100-120 that wont be that much of a downgrade?

The motherboard you picked is good. Using the 850 EVO in the m.2 slot is fine too. In a year or so the prices on the 950 series should come down a lot and then you may want to consider upgrading. It is a lot faster with an SSD using PCIe then SATA and your board has the support. Just keep it in mind for the future.

Well thing is, overclocking can extend the life of a CPU. A CPU which would fall off after 4 years, lets say, will last 1 year more with overclocking. But if the non-overclockable CPU costs $200 and lasts 4 years and the overclockable CPU costs $230, along with at least $30-40 for a CPU cooler, and $30-50 for an overclockable motherboard, then basically you get a 25% increase in life, yet 50% increase in price, that's why I only approve of overclocking if you have a ton of cash and it's like "why not?". For budget builds, it is seldom recommended.
As far as monitor goes, personally I believe if you want to game, then you should buy a 144hz monitor, really makes a difference, if you will game but gaming speed and performance is not the main priority, then I always recommend the Dell U24xx series. Superior displays compared to anything, always worth the extra price, both the 16:9 and 16:10 versions.

doubletake

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012

Please don't spread misinformation. Since it seems you are unaware, the whole point of moving on from SATA to PCI-e based M.2 was to improve performance because the limits of SATA were already being reached. The thing that held back performance wasn't flash memory itself, but the controllers that were not designed with a higher-speed interface in mind alongside the aging and sluggish AHCI standard.

You can read up on it here.

Nick4President

Commendable
Mar 30, 2016

Interesting. Thanks for that info. Don't think I need to spend the extra cash to overclock.. It all makes sense now. Ill look around for a 144hz monitor tomorrow before I finalize. I may finalize without a monitor since I wont have a GPU for a while. Looks like sometime in June now for the new GPU's >.<

theunliked

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014

Sorry guys. I read this somewhere and I was like, "hey this makes sense. What's the point of m2?"

Thanks for pointing this out.

Nick4President

Commendable
Mar 30, 2016

I did want the option in the future. 1-2 years down the line so I may just stick with the normal ssd. However, doubletake seems very knowledgeable, but I don't understand the link he posted at all, lol. Its way over my head.

Well there are several good cheap 144hz monitors, one I really like and some of my friends use is the AOC G2460PF. Not only is it one of the cheapest 144hz monitors but comes with FreeSync. The AOC G2460PG is the same but with GSync instead and is still the cheapest gsync monitor.