Fx 8350 with Msi 990fxa-gaming overclocking help?

CrackleCrunch

Reputable
Jan 25, 2016
Hello,

I have an Fx 8350 black edition CPU and its being cooled by an h100i.

I'm kinda all new to the overclocking scene. The bios is strange and unclear so can anyone help with how to start overclocking my CPU with this Mobo. for example the settings etc. hopefully i can get it to stable at 4.5 or 6

PC Specs
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/

Solution
Don't go to negative. Single digits values on the positive side. 0 = thermal limit.

When you bump the multiplier and fail the 20 min P95 SmallFFTs, then bump the voltage in .01-.03 increments and retest.

If fail again, then bump voltage again til it passes, or reach max voltage of 1.55v/thermal limit.
If pass, then bump multiplier and retest. Rinse and repeat.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Your parts list doesn't work for me. What is the make/model of your PSU?

Then look in BIOS for the CPU multiplier. Raise it by one click, disable Turbo Mode, save and boot to Win. Run something like Intel Burn Test at its default settings. Watch temps during this time. If all is good... repeat. Let me know how high you get the OC on just that procedure alone.

CrackleCrunch

Reputable
Jan 25, 2016

Hello i have an EVGA 850w 80+ Gold, and its not able to just raise by one click? also don't you have to disable things inside the bios also not just turbo?

CrackleCrunch

Reputable
Jan 25, 2016

i have before but its hard to navigate around the bios this mobo has, (Comparing the things and finding them)

CrackleCrunch

Reputable
Jan 25, 2016

http://postimg.org/image/v0k7r0mtz/
I got to 4.2ghz without tweaking anything but the CPU the temps went pretty high, any chance it can go higher?

If you think that reading about that is too hard, then don't bother OC since the process is harder and can be more frustrating than reading about it.

CrackleCrunch

Reputable
Jan 25, 2016

i can read it fine, its just this mobo has such different things on that trying to compare what that says with mine is difficult to understand and navigate around. I've got it to 4.2 just increasing the CPU and the temps are 70 socket and around 32 core, i don't really understand what to do next as it's my first, its okay saying don't bother but i really wanna boost it haha

huvik

Reputable
Apr 27, 2015
well read the link I sent you, the fundamentals are the same even if you cant find the exact same wording in your bios. you still have it as automatic voltage control I'm assuming, hence your high temps on such a low overclock.

CrackleCrunch

Reputable
Jan 25, 2016

Hello,
I've just red it all and did what i could. couldn't find any of the digi+ settings in the bios so i tried to do what i could.
got this on an 4.2ghz http://postimg.org/image/fh030damv/
Please tell me what i can improve to lower temps and get higher clocks,
Thanks!

The only thing you need to do is to disable AMP, C1E, cool a' quiet, and SVM. Set LLC to high or ultra.

Max safe temp 62c core/ 70c socket. Use AOD to check thermal margins. Max voltage no more than 1.55v.

Bump multipler one notch at the time, then run P95 SmallFFTs for 20mins to check stability. If failed, then bump voltage by .01-.03 increments. Re-test, then rise and repeat until you reach thermal/ voltage limits.

As a conclusive test, run Prime95 SmallFFTs for at least 3 hours to test stability. Some will tell you to run it for 8, 12, to 24+ hours. Do what you're comfortable with, even the most stable OC might not be able to run it forever. Prime95 isn't representative of what CPUs do in reality.

CrackleCrunch

Reputable
Jan 25, 2016

Okay i've just done what you have said. i've bumped it up to 4.3ghz and the temps are as follows.
Reading from HwMonitor my package (core) was a maximum of 32 Degrees and the socket was a maximum of 73 degrees
now on AMD overdrive it was reading 37 thermal margin with the 32 core on HwMonitor. im running on 1.408 volts and im not sure if i can go any higher then this? Should i lower the voltage? or keep bumping it up as those temps already reach the limit you stated?
Thanks in advance

Just use AOD CPU thermal margin. A 32c margin means 32c until it reaches thermal limit/throttle, aka overheat.

Keep pushing your CPU until it reaches single digits in thermal margins on AOD while stress testing (make sure it is in positive values, i/e -3 = 3c overheating), or reaches 1.55v, whichever comes first.

CrackleCrunch

Reputable
Jan 25, 2016

oh right okay so just keep bumping the CPU Up until my AOD goes negative? and when it does that means im at the limit, also should i mess with the voltage and if so, when? the 32c was my core temp and 37c when the thermal margin temp

Don't go to negative. Single digits values on the positive side. 0 = thermal limit.

When you bump the multiplier and fail the 20 min P95 SmallFFTs, then bump the voltage in .01-.03 increments and retest.

If fail again, then bump voltage again til it passes, or reach max voltage of 1.55v/thermal limit.
If pass, then bump multiplier and retest. Rinse and repeat.

Solution

CrackleCrunch

Reputable
Jan 25, 2016

okay so what is the maximum limit the thermal margin can go? like 70c? after bumping it all.... Also is 1.4 volts good to start off with on 4.3ghz or should i lower it and test then bump up?