Is a 450 watt psu enough for a msi gtx 750 ti 2gb Oc?

GreekTzatziki

Commendable
Apr 19, 2016
Hey guys.I want to upgrade my video card and I think I'm going to buy the msi gtx 750 ti 2gb Oc gaming edition but I don't know if my power supply will support it. Unfortunately it is a 450 Watt crappy no brand psu from a pre-built pc. I went to the psu calculator and with the gpu the system max watt usage was only 210~230 watts. I am not pretty sure what to do.
Any help would be appreciated.

Solution
Let's keep this simple. Will the current PSU power the 750ti and the rest of the stated system? Yes, in all likelihood.

However, the current PSU is of very poor quality and should be replaced at the first opportunity.
usually oem(acer/dell/hp/etc.) brands use more reliable units than cyberpower/ibuypower/etc. when it comes to sub 500w power supplies. otherwise a 450w unit is plenty for a 750ti which cant really draw much more than 75w. though evga has some no pcie pin gtx950s now that can also be used in place of 75w 750tis.

From what I can find, it's manufactured by Deer.
mvQrXhF.jpg

We can't really be sure if it'll be fine or not. All you can do is plug it in and try. It'll probably be okay.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

That's a 60 Watt video card! With all power supply questions always list all your hardware.
But in general it will do just fine.

Not all power supplies can meet their rated amperage while maintaining stable voltages or without other troubles arising. Not only is labelled wattage unimportant, but the amperage rating is not too important either when there is a good chance it can't be fulfilled.

unreal9400

Distinguished

Worst thing that could happen is the power supply won't turn on if there is not enough power or PC will shut down itself if there is not enough power.
Anyway what is the rest of the system specification?

Deer Computer Co. Ltd. isalso known under other brand names like:

Apex Computer Technology, Inc
Austin
L&C Power
Solytech
Supercase/Allied

All bad OEMs and companies. Deer PSUs are Tier 5, Avoid IMMEDIATELY. These units are highly unsafe to use. No such protections added, very thin gauge wiring used, false advertising and too much to list. Reference to a higher tiered unit for a better, money saving and a much safer unit. For your safety's sake, please don't order or pick one up for use in your system. These units are a potential fire hazard and could even kill you, let alone your system.

PSU Tier list
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html
Deer PSU review where the past reputation of Deer is expounded on. It blew up in the review.
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&file=print&reid=65

Please get a better PSU that is Tier 1 or Tier 2.

GreekTzatziki

Commendable
Apr 19, 2016
Pc specs are :
Amd athlon II x3 455
4gb of ram
Integrated ati radeon 4250
450 watt psu
I don't remember the motherboard model but it has a pci-e slot

I have this pc for like 4 years and I hadn't had any problems with the psu. I just want to know if I should buy the gpu. The cpu is old and I don't think it draws too much power so am I good to go?

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127783
That's a 60 Watt video card.