fx-6300 over-clock potential

Tim stro59

Reputable
Apr 23, 2015
What is the max overclock potential of a fx-6300?

Mine is currently sitting at 4.32 GHz with a core voltage load of 1.35.
What kind of upper ceiling could I hit, with adequate cooling?

My mobo is an Asus M5A78L-M/USB3.

Solution
Set the voltage to 1.5 on an Asus m5a78 & you'll end up with a dead chip & a dead board!

Tim stro59 - you're about at your Max on that board already mate.
The issue is once past 4.3ghz you tend to need a BIG voltage hike on a 4 phase board & the voltage regulators won't really cut it - you'll end up fighting a losing battle on board & socket temps

I've had mine up to 4.6GHz on the same board & that's with a Pallas cooler which drops 15c off vrm temps , & temps were still veering on unacceptable .

If you're running a tower cooler at that speed the board would be burning up.
In most cases like the other poster has stated.
How much of an overclock you can reach depends on two things the motherboard, and the chipset it uses.
And luck if you get a good FX cpu that will overclock well.

On average, with those two factors in mind Tim.
From the default stock clock speed of the cpu, on average you are looking at about an extra 800Mhz in speed over the default clock.

If the cpu falls over then providing the motherboard can provide cpu core voltage changes in steps or increments in voltage on the Mv scale.

You should increase the core voltage of the cpu in 0.250Mv steps.
And test the system and cpu for stability.
If it crashes or fails then add another 0.250mv and test again and so on.
keeping a close eye on the cpu temps.

The maximum you should set the core to is 1.5v.
To be safe.
The cpu will go to 1.55v or 1.6v for the core voltage but I would not attempt these settings in any way.
If you reach 1.45v to 1.5v and the cpu is still not stable in windows or with a cpu stress test.
Then back the cpu off by 100Mhz.

If stable in windows and with a cpu stress test and the cpu temps seem good max 60c.
Then work back wards on the cpu core voltage by 0.250mv till it crashes.

Then you have found the maximum overclock, and core voltage where it is stable under a cpu stress test.

Be happy with the result you get and don`t get too carried away.
Some cpu`s just don`t overclock well due to the batch, and the motherboard also that may limit the final result you get from overclocking Tim ok.

Good luck !

Set the voltage to 1.5 on an Asus m5a78 & you'll end up with a dead chip & a dead board!

Tim stro59 - you're about at your Max on that board already mate.
The issue is once past 4.3ghz you tend to need a BIG voltage hike on a 4 phase board & the voltage regulators won't really cut it - you'll end up fighting a losing battle on board & socket temps

I've had mine up to 4.6GHz on the same board & that's with a Pallas cooler which drops 15c off vrm temps , & temps were still veering on unacceptable .

If you're running a tower cooler at that speed the board would be burning up.

Solution

Latest posts