Solved

G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 - 2400, 2666, 3000?

so building my PC... someone suggested to get the G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 - 2400..

i want to overclock the memory, processor etc... was wondering which one to get as there is the 2666 and the 3000..

on partpicker i am seeing multiple items with the same name but different pricing...
here is the link to my build so far:
http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/8MHpxr

as u can see i have two 16GB with the same name and specs.. is the only difference colour?will 3000 speeds all have 1.35v?

just want to make sure i am buying the correct RAM sticks...

Thanks,
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about skill ripjaws series 16gb 8gb ddr4 2400 2666 3000
  1. johentie said:
    so building my PC... someone suggested to get the G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 - 2400..

    i want to overclock the memory, processor etc... was wondering which one to get as there is the 2666 and the 3000..

    on partpicker i am seeing multiple items with the same name but different pricing...
    here is the link to my build so far:
    http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/8MHpxr

    as u can see i have two 16GB with the same name and specs.. is the only difference colour?will 3000 speeds all have 1.35v?

    just want to make sure i am buying the correct RAM sticks...

    Thanks,


    the way it was explained to me was you try to get OC'd memory if you dont have a good gpu because the igpu's in intels will benefit from faster ram. the 970 is really nice and anything around the 3000Mhz from what ive read and also been told is the sweet spot. talk to tradesman1 though, hes the memory guru :)
  2. sweet thanks for the reply... just trying to see why there are different sticks with the same specs but different pricing ... the only thing i can find is the colour...
  3. johentie said:
    sweet thanks for the reply... just trying to see why there are different sticks with the same specs but different pricing ... the only thing i can find is the colour...


    http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f43000c15d16gvs
  4. Best answer
    the silver ram and red ram not the same chips. the red ram timming is not the same as the silver ram. with intel skylake the default ram speed is 2100 at 1.2v you can run 1.35v that the max voltage for the intel cpu memory controller. when you see 2100/2400....that the xmp or max speed the ram spec at you can with any ram try and over clock it and over volt it but it might not be as stable as ram that been binned for 3000 speed.
  5. smorizio said:
    the silver ram and red ram not the same chips. the red ram timming is not the same as the silver ram. with intel skylake the default ram speed is 2100 at 1.2v you can run 1.35v that the max voltage for the intel cpu memory controller. when you see 2100/2400....that the xmp or max speed the ram spec at you can with any ram try and over clock it and over volt it but it might not be as stable as ram that been binned for 3000 speed.


    i myself just went with 2400mhz as i also declined to use 1.35v, great point!!
  6. The Ripjaws V are great sticks, should be happy with them ;)
  7. Thanks guys... I'll get the red 3000 1. 35v 16gb stocks...
Ask a new question

Read More

G.SKILL DDR4