i3-4160 Load Temps

While playing a couple different games my temp never got above 55C.
But I ran Prime95 for just about 3-4 mins and my temp got up to 76C. So I shut it down before it got any higher. I checked ark.intel and the maximum temp for the 4160 is 72C at the integrated heat spreader. Where do these apps read the CPU temp from?

SystemHWMonitor20160424-07.png

Solution
Why on earth would you use Prime95? It's not like your can overclock your cpu so you're checking for cpu stability.

While gaming your CPU hits 100%load rarely, when it does it doesn't stay on 100% load all the time, while Prime95 will play with your cpu voltages and have it on 100% all the time during burn test hence your cpu temperature will go sky rocket especially on stock cooler. Any reason for running Prime95?

Don't play with 3rd party cpu stress softwares. If your cpu temps are normal while gaming there's no reason to run AIDA64/Prime95 what so ever..

Proofy

Admirable
Why on earth would you use Prime95? It's not like your can overclock your cpu so you're checking for cpu stability.

While gaming your CPU hits 100%load rarely, when it does it doesn't stay on 100% load all the time, while Prime95 will play with your cpu voltages and have it on 100% all the time during burn test hence your cpu temperature will go sky rocket especially on stock cooler. Any reason for running Prime95?

Don't play with 3rd party cpu stress softwares. If your cpu temps are normal while gaming there's no reason to run AIDA64/Prime95 what so ever..

Solution
In direct answer to your question, you're right to notice that "72c at the heatspreader" is not necessarily the same temperature as the one you're seeing. The temperature readings you're seeing are from a thermal sensor in the die itself, and will be much higher than the top of the IHS, because they're taken from much closer to hot components. Maximum core temperature (which is what you're seeing) is 100c before throttling. I would not be concerned by ~80c on a non-overclocked CPU, as the CPU will throttle itself to prevent damage, and can survive running at near throttling temperatures for years.

You have actually answered my question. I forgot that I had asked that. Thanks for that. :)

That CPU throttles at 100°C; you confuse core and Tcase temperatures. There are no problems running P95; it won't even throttle with the stock cooler.

Proofy

Admirable

Monitor your cpu usage while playing games to confirm that cpu is causing the freeze.

Read this thread with the same issue as yours, there's also a nice thread regarding temeprature differences in intel processors as well, asnwers by CompuTronix:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-2304437/core-4150-high-cpu-temperature.html

I've throttled an i3-4150 and an i3-4170 and they don't have that issue; neither does my i5-4590. Check what tasks are running in the background, use Intel XTU (enable all hardware monitors) to monitor the CPU for thermal throttling, etc.

Proofy

Admirable

throttled with what software and version